Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff: LSD v ATB
scootz

posted on 14/2/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Diff: LSD v ATB

So, I have a 7 with a live axle and a Tran-x plated diff.

Not sure I can live with the noise though. Fine when cold, but the minute the diff heats up, then it clanks and clunks when leaving junctions and turning slow tight corners.

I'm also not that fussed for the plates being serviceable parts... which brings me on to the 'fit and forget' Quaife ATB option.

Thing is, I spoke with the guy who built my axle (very well respected, but I'm not going to name names) and he says that the ATB is pretty much pointless on a RWD lightweight. I can't ignore his advice - he'll have forgotten more about this than I'll ever know, but why then do the RGB boys run them... and why do Quaife market them for RWD cars if they aren't much cut.

Over to you LCB Massiv!

It's Evolution Baby!

plutos3

posted on 14/2/16 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
cold it be that it needs setting up for your car, If it was originally for a tin top which would be heavier it would perhaps be the problem.
twybrow

posted on 14/2/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a live axle and my car started life with an open diff. It acted like traction control as if you pushed on too hard, it spun up the inside rear rather than spinning the car. I swapped to an ATB and it transformed the car. It suddenly felt like a rwd, all pointy and adjustable. You can use the rear steer to far greater effect than without and it is quite capable of silly drifts/donuts if you wish. I have not tried a Tranx, but I can report I really like the ATB!
minitici

posted on 14/2/16 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I would go for a Quaife ATB for road use any day.

The only people who complain about them in RWD are from cars with poorly set up rear suspension which lift inner wheels on corners and loose traction.

Or from nutters with 300+ BHP who would never get enough traction regardless of the differential.

adithorp

posted on 14/2/16 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Got an ATB in my Fury. Works a treat. Never know it's there until you need it and then it works well.

No idea how it compares to a plate diff in the same sort of car (light) It is less intrusive under normal driving conditions in the Fury than plate diffs I've experienced in some other (heavier) cars I've driven... They were other peoples (customers) cars though, so I can't comment on how they were nearer the limit. Why did they say they wouldn't have one?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jeffw

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I use a ATB in the Phoenix, it has been in the car for several years. Certainly a good bit of kit.

snapper

posted on 14/2/16 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing I would add I have recently gone from an open to an ATB (and I caveat that some other suspensions mods were also done) is that from a very understeery 7 to one that feels initially very loose then oversteer ( very very briefly) then grabs well and grips.
It's more a confidence thing, the more I push the better it feels.
I have a friend who is well respected in a major car manufacturer, he says LSD on the road usually promotes understeer, I haven't pushed enough to find that out yet

Earn a lot of waffle but ATB works for me

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Wadders

posted on 14/2/16 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I swapped from a ford Viscous unit to a Quaife ATB, difference was astonishing, works very well in a BEC, very predictable on track. I've heard plate diffs are better, but I couldn't be arsed with setting them up and extra maintenance. No noise or any foibles to speak of with the Quaife it just does the job.
phelpsa

posted on 14/2/16 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure that the diff has the correct oil in it? Might be worth a try changing it to make sure before ruling the plate diff out completely.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brian R

posted on 14/2/16 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Four locosts now in our Isle of Wight gang have now fitted Quaife atb diffs. They seem to work very well and the drivers love them.

This is a 750 mc 1300 racecar fitted with one for a mini drift comp we held at our local car club.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMry-Hogdtg

colin99999

posted on 15/2/16 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
There's an ATB as standard in the back of my Ginetta G20 ex-race now track day car. Can't imagine they would go to the trouble/expense of fitting them if they were no good as the car is all about value racing. Granted it's not the lightest car out there mind.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be...

beaver34

posted on 15/2/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
i run a plate in the rear of my car like you its noisy as hell, more so as your sat on the rear of the car i think

i can put up with the noise and it makes the car grip like hell so its doing its job as far as i can see, mine is a cruiser though so do see where your coming from with the noise thing

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/2/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Quaife ATB in my sprint Locost, wouldn't bother with anything else now. It just worked perfectly and the only maintenance required was an oil change every so often.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Benzo

posted on 15/2/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
As much as the plates are serviceable parts they are not dear to buy and will probably last the
Lifetime of your ownership.

scootz

posted on 15/2/16 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

The diff was spec'd for the car and it handles beautifully. Is just that the noise at slow speed is almost spoiling an otherwise perfect driving experience!

It's Evolution Baby!

jeffw

posted on 15/2/16 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Get an ATB in the axle

peter030371

posted on 15/2/16 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Get an ATB in the axle

What he said

Oddified

posted on 15/2/16 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have plate diff in my car, the only time noise was a big issue was when i used the wrong oil in the axle.

Ian

Benzo

posted on 15/2/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
My TranX has never been nosey at all either
Benzo

posted on 15/2/16 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
I have plate diff in my car, the only time noise was a big issue was when i used the wrong oil in the axle.

Ian

Glad that ZF worked out for you in the end.

mackei23b

posted on 15/2/16 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Titan plate diff and it clunks and bangs.... That's with the correct preload and ramp angles, though I know others are not as noisy as mine.

I've also had an AP suretrack, similar to the Atb and that was quite....

scootz

posted on 16/2/16 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'll swap over to a ATB. Should get decent money back on the Tran-x.

Does anyone have any suggestions for diff guru's in Scotland who could do the needful (I can fit it, but not a chance in hell that I could set it up properly!).

It's Evolution Baby!

jeffw

posted on 16/2/16 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Road and Race in Sevenoaks

Fostek near Newcastle?

sdh2903

posted on 16/2/16 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've used alpine transmissions in Hamilton a couple of times for diffs. The guy (I forget his name) was incredibly knowledgeable and had done a lot with quaife atbs. He wasn't too bad on price either.
Oddified

posted on 16/2/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Road and Race in Sevenoaks

Fostek near Newcastle?

I'm not so sure that Fostek are still going

Ian

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.