Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: can i run a zetec on carbs for the IVA
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
can i run a zetec on carbs for the IVA

i have just fitted the 1.8 zetec black top with a MX8 box in to my Robin hood super spec , the car has not been IVA yet the motor is a 1998 and im told i have to run it on injectors due to the age ? is this true
luke2152

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
You dont have to but i doubt a carbed engine will pass post 95 emissions levels. Not without rejetting them for save the planet performance levels.
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
do you have to prove the age of the engine ,as i do not have a log book but do have a receipt for the engine , or could i tell them is a 1995 engine with a fake receipt
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
or what about a carb with a cat fitted ?
luke2152

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Anything is possible. The IVA guys do know their engines though as they do this every day so be careful.
snapper

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motojohn
do you have to prove the age of the engine ,as i do not have a log book but do have a receipt for the engine , or could i tell them is a 1995 engine with a fake receipt

A Ford engine has 2 letters in front of the numbers in the stamped on engine code
To prove engine she the Ford engine code list in the Burton’s catalogue is understood by IVA inspectors

Therefore if you try to bullshit them they will discover you

Your choice but it is best to do it properly, do it once

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
i only ask as i have found that the injector unit that came with the engine will not fit as it hits the steering rack
russbost

posted on 29/8/18 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at this thread, it can be done, but not simple (still probably a lot cheaper & easier than the alternatives!)

Linky

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
had a look but im now thinking of going down the after market injectors like these

russbost

posted on 29/8/18 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you have deep pockets! .................

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
no i dont . but saw these for £360 for a pair of twins not including injectors and tps ,it does sound to good to be true but that does not include a manifold
but i have plans for that

[Edited on 30/8/18 by motojohn]

luke2152

posted on 29/8/18 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bike throttle bodies will do the same for £100 . Youll still need to make manifold
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
which bike bodys would be the best.? i do a have a Aprillia millie motor with all the loom and injectors i could have a look and see how they will fit but i would also need a second set
luke2152

posted on 29/8/18 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the early 2000s gsxr 600-1000 ones. They split apart easily if you wish to re space them. But i reckon there would be loads of equally good ones from less popular bikes you could get for less.
motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks i have just found this so i bought it £35

[Edited on 29/8/18 by motojohn]

big_wasa

posted on 29/8/18 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
lots have people have used the Oem injection, you just need a plenum. Gbs do one, you can make one. It takes some beating for cheap and cheerfull and Iva friendly.

You could put a dog leg in the steering down link.

https://youtu.be/BKqeCjdBM0w

[Edited on 29/8/18 by big_wasa]

motojohn

posted on 29/8/18 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
i have looked at aftermarket plenums but they cost as much as a set of throttle bodies
MikeRJ

posted on 29/8/18 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a manifold and throttle bodies is just the start of your problems. Now you have to hook them up to an ECU and make them work well enough to pass the emissions test.
motojohn

posted on 30/8/18 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I wanted to use the OEM injector set up but did not realise i had a space issue, i may try altering the plastic plenum , i was going to scrap it anyway so nothing lost and it will get me though the IVA test hopefully
big_wasa

posted on 30/8/18 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
An after market ecu and mapping makes the bolt on solution of the gbs plenum small potatos. After iva the plenum alone would hold 2/3 of its value and maybe more with the oem ecu as a bolt on iva solution.
motojohn

posted on 30/8/18 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
yes i have many options , i will go for bike throttle bodies after the iva , so now im looking at "adjusting " the OEM plenem to fit , if i cant i will go for the GBS one ,and as you say it will sell on after .
tims31

posted on 30/8/18 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motojohn
I wanted to use the OEM injector set up but did not realise i had a space issue, i may try altering the plastic plenum , i was going to scrap it anyway so nothing lost and it will get me though the IVA test hopefully

I used the GBS Plenum and the standard Mondeo ECU and loom using Big_wasa's guide and all works fine and passes IVA easily enough without having to get a rolling road map.

Have a look here

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

motojohn

posted on 30/8/18 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for that food for thought , i think i will go that way as it sounds the best
johnemms

posted on 30/8/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
My bike carbs when set one click down on the needles tickover at 14.1 afr cruise at 16 afr..
But .. they go much better at mid setting

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

motojohn

posted on 31/8/18 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
food for thought

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.