Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another mad idea?
JC

posted on 5/2/19 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Another mad idea?

I have just acquired some Bini toggle switches. I have read the thread here about converting them with toggle switches.
My McSorley has a large cockpit and I must have T-Rex arms as I struggle to reach the dash switches with my harness on. I’m thinking of mounting the Bini switch unit in the tunnel top.......any thoughts?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/2/19 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I spent quite a while looking into the electrics of the Mini switch pack a few years back, and came to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth trying to get them to work in their existing guise (I believe some if not all of the circuits didn’t just need a delay, but were interlinked and were ECU controlled).

You’ve obviously seen that the housing can be reused with toggle switches, but a much neater solution IMO is to just buy individual switches and the hoops from somewhere like CBS and install them in a layout that best suits your needs rather than being restricted to having 6 switches ganged together.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

JC

posted on 6/2/19 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
True indeed, but the whole Bini module cost me a fiver - less than a single loop from CBS - this is LocostBuilders after all!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/2/19 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Is the "B"ini term highlighting the fact that new Mini's are actually BMWs?

Good selling car for sure and it's given BMW a way into FWD cars without them having to make a FWD BMW badged car as well.

JC

posted on 7/2/19 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's ironic that BMW got their FWD tech from Rover - the original 1 series was to have been FWD but when they dumped Rover it reverted to RWD, hence its challenged looks and poor packaging. They kept the Mini design team and it has evolved over the years and now FWD is underpinning not only the Mini range but the next 1 series, the 2 series, the X1 and X2!!!

And yes, Bini = BMW Mini! My favourite was the number sticker on a proper Mini saying 'Beware of expensive German imitations' - you could add 'large' in there too!!

nick205

posted on 8/2/19 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
It's ironic that BMW got their FWD tech from Rover - the original 1 series was to have been FWD but when they dumped Rover it reverted to RWD, hence its challenged looks and poor packaging. They kept the Mini design team and it has evolved over the years and now FWD is underpinning not only the Mini range but the next 1 series, the 2 series, the X1 and X2!!!

And yes, Bini = BMW Mini! My favourite was the number sticker on a proper Mini saying 'Beware of expensive German imitations' - you could add 'large' in there too!!

As I thought

RWD may be entertaining to drive, but FWD is certainly more layout ameanable for modern motoring needs.

James

posted on 8/2/19 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC

Does that make the 1-series a potential donor for us in a few years?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JC

posted on 9/2/19 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yes!

The engine in my M135i would be amazing in a Locost.....if a bit big....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.