Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone used one of the cheap universal dashes in their kit / BEC?
Steve Hignett

posted on 28/4/19 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used one of the cheap universal dashes in their kit / BEC?

Hi All,

It's not going to be used in a kit, but for a cafe racer type bike and would be nice to have a more modern look and cleaner, simpler take on the dash area..

I know plenty of people have used the Koso & acewell, but I'm wanting to aim toward the 30 quid rather than 200 quid mark if I can help it!

Here's a couple ebay links to what I'm thinking...

ebay 1

ebay 2

Thanks,
Steve

pekwah1

posted on 28/4/19 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve got the second one in my car at the moment, not bad although could never get the tacho to work....
Schrodinger

posted on 29/4/19 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have a veypor vr2 which is sitting unused in my garage
http://ruckn.com/veypor-vr2-install/

open to offers

Keith
Aviemore

mark chandler

posted on 29/4/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I purchased a something similar, as above cannot get the tachometer to work, closest I got was wrapping a wire around an HT lead.
Steve Hignett

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys and thanks for the offer Keith..

If the tacho didn't work for me, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The bike prob has about 6 horsepower, so can't see me ringing its neck every where I go, but also seems a shame that a product designed to work obviously has issues...

Keith, is the Veypor VR2 an out of date, or old product? There doesn't seem to be much info about it online etc.?

Perhaps I'll do some searching about tacho issues for the cheap ones and just make a choice based on looks (that's what most of a cafe racer is about anyway), and just go for the best VFM option..

Thanks again guys, and if anyone has any other input, please do so,

Steve

McLannahan

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapour

Seems there's some confusion with spelling....or an alarmingly similar product range from someone else!

russbost

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think the above says it all really - to a certain extent you get what you pay for & for £30 you're going to get something more akin to a pushbike speedo than a proper unit. You don't need to spend £200 to get a decent dash

Link to Acewell 1550

& if you talk to Oli at Furore Products he'll give a further 5% off the web price to LCB

With the cheap units, if anything goes wrong a few months down the line, you'll have no after sales service or backup whatsoever. With Acewell you have a years guarantee & proper service backup after that. I recall when I was running Furore Products, I got a screen replaced on a 5 year old 2859 & an LCD replaced in a 5XXX series unit that was 2 years old & had been cracked in a crash. You won't find service like that with any of the other budget brands + the units were hugely reliable, fail rate ran at around 0.5% as I recall. If you're planning on keeping the bike any length of time at all it's just not worth buying a cheap unit

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Schrodinger

posted on 29/4/19 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Steve
Just replied to your message try here
https://www.google.com/search?q=veypor+vr2+speedometer&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB801GB801&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=e2hGoj7X4t_gwM%25 3A%252CUj1WMNRj_OMtjM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTwXMNSz6UVjyibfnK6JK37IQr4UA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim8beyqfbhAhUMShUIHekcDMkQ9QEwCnoECAkQCA& biw=1440&bih=818#imgrc=e2hGoj7X4t_gwM:
there is a wiring diagram on there which will give you an idea of how it works.

[Edited on 30/4/19 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

SJ

posted on 30/4/19 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Like Russ said. I've got one of the older Acewell units and it was worked perfectly for the past 8 or so years.

Stu

Steve Hignett

posted on 2/5/19 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you everyone for your advice, and thanks again Keith - just replied to your U2U..

ATB,
Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.