Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heated Parts Washer
MikeBaker

posted on 22/7/19 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Heated Parts Washer

Hi all,

(Just a brief overview)

I’ve wanted a parts washer for a while, however I also wanted it to be heated. Buying a heated one is expensive... so I made my own.

Bought a large parts washer (always bigger than the dimensions make you feel it will be) bought 2 3kW Incoloy immersion heaters. Also bought some parts to make a drain away as it came with just a plug (would have made draining a nightmare) and a parts washer through brush.

Assembled said parts and voila.

The parts washer holds 75litres of fluid and takes roughly 35 minutes to heat up to about 50°C (I’ve set it to auto switch off with the inbuilt thermostats). The drain off is 1/4 inch BSP as that was the only size I could get easily and would fit without drilling and tapping a bigger hole. Drains faster than I thought it would (many many many minutes though)

All in all quite happy with it, seems to work well as is, untested as yet as I’ve not had parts to clean recently. But should work much better than just a cold parts washer.

Any questions - feel free to ask.

nick205

posted on 24/7/19 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good!

I like to see a bit of ingenuity to save some cost and get where you want to be.

Looking at the photos will it hold a straight 4 cylinder head?

MikeBaker

posted on 24/7/19 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Every little helps!

I think a straight 6 would fit in there to be honest - Its 1.13 meters long and 54cm wide, so plenty of space :-)

Need to find a cheap and good heated Ultrasonic cleaner for more delicate parts.

nick205

posted on 25/7/19 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Plenty big enough then
gremlin1234

posted on 25/7/19 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBaker
Need to find a cheap and good heated Ultrasonic cleaner for more delicate parts.

could you get a module to drop in to the heated tank you already have?
a search found
https://www.guyson.co.uk/finishing-equipment/ultrasonic-cleaning-baths-tanks/submersible-transducers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.