Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Head banging....
Theshed

posted on 22/3/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Head banging....

I am gradually adapting some existing bodywork for my car - creating a dirty great air scoop. I used the internal air scoop and covered it in foam/glass/filler to form an external engine cover. It is nowhere near finished yet but I sat in the car with a helmet on today....

It is a bit claustrophobic! The forward roll bar brace is about 3" from my head but the airscoop at present about 1 1/2". I can probably gain another inch or so.

Can anybody who races/track days a lot tell me the extent to which I can expect my head to bang around (750hp so a few G forces I expect).

Air Scoop
Air Scoop

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/3/20 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not modify a little??
Making it taller and less wide?
Also, do you expect to have passengers? if not, why don´t you put it where the passenger head would be?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Theshed

posted on 23/3/20 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I can certainly make it a bit thinner...

The difficulty is that it covers an inner airbox cover. It is a complex kevlar/carbon moulding and whilst I could chop it about I would rather not.

I would like the option of taking a passenger. There are only a couple of possible race series for this think - and it will not be competitive in either - it has become all about completing it rather than creating anything that might actually be used regularly. It is likely to be a track day toy at best

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/3/20 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
does the scoop actually achieve anything more than a big hole?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Theshed

posted on 23/3/20 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes...This is a 200mph car designed for ram induction.
Theshed

posted on 23/3/20 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry that appeared a bit snotty...

The internal air channel is an inch or so smaller than the picture I have posted. Pictures of the internal version are in my photos. The engines are Indycar units which run flat out in circles (very strange). The airbox is very carefully designed and I am trying to accommodate that (and failing).

The LMP version which I am trying to emulate (although it was a failure) was turbocharged - it had a smaller air intake.....

jeffw

posted on 24/3/20 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
You need to have a photo taken with you in the car with a helmet on. It looks like it will be a big problem but you'd need to see what it looks like in real life.
Deckman001

posted on 24/3/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
You need to have a photo taken with you in the car with a helmet on. It looks like it will be a big problem but you'd need to see what it looks like in real life.

Agreed, It looks like it might need to be higher so as to be in the airflow anyway ?

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.