Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Furlough, experience, thoughts and opinions?
coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/20 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by red22
Feel free to stay in, I'm not the one giving the advice.

Just seems people are equating catching a flu like virus to a death sentence. Which it isn't.

It is, to millions of high risk friends and family members, including some of mine. This isn't comparable to the flu, if you think it is, you're part of the reason people are dying on droves despite it only touching a tiny proportion of the population so far. By not taking every step possible, you're basically saying "I don't care about people with existing conditions, they're not worth saving".

Swedens health board are being constantly attacked by their own research universities for underreacting and using incorrect data. They're behind the curve for now, but following roughly the path of the US, look where it got them.

Sometimes it's frightening to see how stupid people can be in the face of overwhelming facts.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8601
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 4/4/20 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Feel free to stay in, I'm not the one giving the advice.

Just seems people are equating catching a flu like virus to a death sentence. Which it isn't.

FFS THIS ISN'T THE FLU, stop thinking its a flu like virus and being complacent.

We don't build Nightingale hospitals (4000 people in one hospital makes it the 3rd largest hospital in the world prior to this) every year to cope with the flu
We don't have our army on emergency standby for the flu
We don't have nurses on heart wards converted to be coronavirus wards wearing full PPE to do their job for the flu
We don't throw billions at the economy to keep people at home for the flu
We don't cancel the NHS debt as a passing comment for the flu
We don't have our senior policitians doing daily breifings direct to the nation for the flu
We don't cancel cancer paitent treatments for the flu
We don't have senior AE doctors pleeding with people to stay home as they're scared what they're seeing at work for the flu
We don't have paramedics saying they don't know how this will end, they're already more stretched than ever for the flu

A number of those are from personal experience to me as i have medical friends / family, but the messages are out their if you look.

This is a death sentance for lots of people. If I don't lose some of my family to this i'll be amazed.

red22

posted on 4/4/20 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Why do people feel the need to name call and insult? So you don't agree with me, I'm not forcing you to.

It is a flu like virus. It appears to attack the respiratory system. Like the flu.

If/when I catch it, I may/may not die. It isn't a given.

How long do you expect the/a country to continue like this, without causing a whole list of other problems? How many businesses/jobs won't recover from this?

The government is saying if you can work from home great, but if your work doesn't enable you to do this, then go on and work. Obviously excepting those that are on the closure list.

cliftyhanger

posted on 4/4/20 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
We (thankfully) live in a compassionate country, and indeed area of the world. We value all life, even if some of those people are no longer, or ever have been, able to contribute financially to society. Like my parents....

If we were looking at this from a purely financial viewpoint, we would be rubbing our hands together, and encouraging the spread of the virus. That would get the vast majority of the country infected nice and fast, doctors would have to make the decision not to treat anybody over (say) 70, or with underlying health conditions. So we would "cleanse" society of the weak.

The social distancing is not about me/you etc. It is about us caring for the weaker people in society and trying to protect them. And that is a price that our society is prepared to pay. Because we are compassionate. Take that away, and we would be in a very dangerous place. History teaches us that.

Yes, we will all take a big hit from this. Yes, there will be a large number of suicides, marriage breakups, domestic violence and so on. Yes a lot of hardship. But it is "probably" the best way for us to preserve our humanity. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I thought my selfish actions had indirectly resulted in people dying. So I am keeping away from people as much as possible. (except my parents, who I have to weigh up regular visits to make sure they take their meds, get food cooked for them and are cared for. They cannot survive on their own.)

daviep

posted on 4/4/20 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Why do people feel the need to name call and insult? So you don't agree with me, I'm not forcing you to.

It is a flu like virus. It appears to attack the respiratory system. Like the flu.

If/when I catch it, I may/may not die. It isn't a given.

How long do you expect the/a country to continue like this, without causing a whole list of other problems? How many businesses/jobs won't recover from this?

The government is saying if you can work from home great, but if your work doesn't enable you to do this, then go on and work. Obviously excepting those that are on the closure list.

The problem is not whether you (who I am presume is young, fit, healthy) get the virus, the problem is that during the incubation period when you may have no symptoms you may well infect people who are not as well placed to deal with the virus.

You make no mention of social distancing with regard to going to work. I agree that if you can go to work and have the discipline to maintain the social distancing measures, including 2m separation and not touching objects others have touched and not touching face then there is no problem, however I know from personal experience that this is very hard to do consistently.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

red22

posted on 4/4/20 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
This is not my advice, it is government advice. They are advising you to go to work, the say that they need to keep business open.

Do not take this as sarcastic because it may sound like it...... Do you really think all the people who are working are keeping to the strict letter of social distancing? Remember I'm not being sarcastic just talking normaly and not trying to offend.

Going by what I've seen they aren't. Going by what I've been told they're not. Is this going to stop me shopping, no. Do I expect people I come into contact with to do it? Again probably not. Bit unless you live like a hermit for the next few months you can't avoid it.

steve m

posted on 4/4/20 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
"Bit unless you live like a hermit for the next few months you can't avoid it."

but at least we have a better chance of living

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

daviep

posted on 4/4/20 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
This is not my advice, it is government advice. They are advising you to go to work, the say that they need to keep business open.

Do not take this as sarcastic because it may sound like it...... Do you really think all the people who are working are keeping to the strict letter of social distancing? Remember I'm not being sarcastic just talking normaly and not trying to offend.

Going by what I've seen they aren't. Going by what I've been told they're not. Is this going to stop me shopping, no. Do I expect people I come into contact with to do it? Again probably not. Bit unless you live like a hermit for the next few months you can't avoid it.

I understand the government advice and agree we should be trying to keep the country running. Unfortunately I think that you are 100% correct regarding human nature

Why can't we trust people to behave properly? The social distancing measures maybe a little inconvenient but they are not impossible. Perhaps if we as a nation could be trusted to act in a responsible manner we could be more like Sweden.

I am still working but I am trying my best to be strict about protecting myself and the people I come in to contact with, one of the measures I have taken is wearing my company ID badge all the time so that if I need to touch "stuff" (elevator button, chip & pin, coffee machine, etc) I use the corner of my ID badge hanging round my neck, this avoids touching with my hands but more importantly it makes me think about what I touch.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.