Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parking issues, or anti social car/bike behaviour
steve m

posted on 2/12/20 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Parking issues, or anti social car/bike behaviour

Parking issues, or anti social car/bike behaviour

I started this for fun, as i seemed to of got a bit tyed up on youtube with the above!!

My best one !!

I live in a small close, and about 20 plus years ago, a guy who didnt live in our close used to park a BIG 8 wheeler tipper, you know the type of thing, enormous piece of machiney, and when on the road, NOTHING gets passed! as they only do 56 mph

The owner of this piece of road blocking junk, had been warned, by the locals and the police informed, and the company he worked for were informed, yet he / they still ignored the lot

any way, to get into our close, you had to drive on the road and pavement, and a couple of front lawns just to get passed
so, someone, not sure who, placed 6 " nails at an angle on the tyres, so when mr Arsehole drove off every tyre was punctured
any way the large tipper remained there for a day or so, as i beleive most of the tyres had been punctured, well, they all looked very flat!

after a couple of days the large piece of machinery was removed, and NEVER CAME BACK!!!! result !!

Now on to my son in law,

Must be 18 ish years ago, were they used to live,

EVERY work day around 0600, his neighbour would come out and start a large 1000cc plus, motorbike up, with open cans , and very loud, and leave it idling as he went in and did what ever ! for a good 10 mins this went on for a good couple of weeks, untill my son in law, waited untill the bike was started, went out and put a large sign up on the bike, took the keys out and went home
the noise had stopped, and NEVER did the bike ever start again. not while My Daughter lived there !

The sign said, the keys are in the drain, with an arrow, pointing to the closest drain!!!

The keys were actually on his roof !! and just for info, a very very sharp nail at around 60-65% is the optimum angle

just thought i would share with you

I could go on, but some of the experiences of my life are quit harrowing, !!!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 2/12/20 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be embarrassed about starting my bike early in the morning, it was a standard 600 on quiet cans and wasn't particularly noisy at idle. I still tried to ride off as soon as I could. It was bloody difficult too, a cold carb fed bike with a very twitchy throttle!
raddish

posted on 3/12/20 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
The best answer to all of these neighbourhood problems is simply to hammer frozen sausages into their front lawn one night and watch in amazement at the results wildlife will go to for a bit of sausage.

Im sure plenty here will know where that idea originated from.

roadrunner

posted on 3/12/20 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I freewheel my 125 scooter down the hill before I started it just so I don't disturb the neighbours.
And as said above. Cold carbs.

steve m

posted on 3/12/20 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I used to push my Norton up to the top of the road, to start it, but when i bought a Goldwing, i could start in the garage, under my Parents bedroom
and they never heard a thing

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 3/12/20 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Many years ago I lived along what is now the A14 with the M11 ending just outside the front door, we had been there a few years when road construction began and had to fight for a lay-by outside for parking , came home one afternoon to find someone parked in the middle of the lay-by so I could park in front or behind without blocking a driveway , I got out and asked the driver politely if he could move forward so I could park , his response was I could wait until he was ready! Big mistake! I parked my VW camper van tight to his front bumper then my dads Volvo tight to his rear then told him he would wait until I was ready . 1/2 later he was knocking at our door saying he was in a hurry. Tough! He threatened to call the police so I told him where the nearest public phone was , 3 miles away, enjoy your walk , this was in the pre mobile days . He waited 3 hours before I let him out telling him that in future he might park with a bit more consideration. Not a happy bunny!
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/12/20 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Bikes are a bit of a problem. Having been an all year biker I too had a loud bike just so that filtering through traffic was safer as you could certainly hear it coming. Starting early in the morning and not waking everyone up was tricky and in the winter it was prone to carb icing if not warmed up being a twin V with the carbs in the middle. So I to let it idle for a while but it was unavoidable really.

I think I'd have mentioned it to the guy first and asked if there was a solution perhaps just starting it in the garage with the door open or wheeling it further from the houses.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 3/12/20 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Anti-social behaviour's never good and noisey engines are always set to irritate. Always a good reason just to start the car/bike and set off. If you take it easy for a few miles the engine will warm itself up and all should be well.

Tyres never like nails

joneh

posted on 3/12/20 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
When I used to chef at a private members club, we had a neighbor to the building who used to complain every day about the cars and bikes leaving after hours and arriving early. He even requested that staff pushed the motorbikes down the road before starting them. The kicker was that he was a member and ate there daily.

Unsurprisingly, after 3 days of 5am carpark doughnuts the complaints stopped.

nick205

posted on 3/12/20 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
When I used to chef at a private members club, we had a neighbor to the building who used to complain every day about the cars and bikes leaving after hours and arriving early. He even requested that staff pushed the motorbikes down the road before starting them. The kicker was that he was a member and ate there daily.

Unsurprisingly, after 3 days of 5am carpark doughnuts the complaints stopped.

You can't beat a good carpark doughnut!

BenB

posted on 3/12/20 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
About 10 years ago I we lived in a very narrow urban street- the type that was only wide enough for a vehicle in one direction. I was driving towards my home and in the opposite direction came a delivery lorry. I stopped next to a parking space about twice the length of the lorry expecting them to pull in and then carry on driving. Transpires they wanted to stop to do a delivery but instead of pulling forward 6 foot into the parking space and stopping they pulled to a stop inches in front of the front of my car (IE completely blocking the road) and started trying to man-handle a sofa out of the back of the lorry. I got out and asked if it would not have been possible to park in the parking space rather than block the road to which the driver said "I could do but I'm not going to. I'm doing a delivery- wait". So, based on the fact that my car was parked directly in front of their lorry I just switched off the engine and walked to my house and made a cup of tea and went and sat on my front wall. As soon as they'd delivered their item they got back in and started shouting to move my car to which I replied "I could do but I'm not going to. I'm having a cup of tea- wait". Unfortunately for them I don't like drinking my tea too hot, it was a nice day so a bit of sun-bathing was in order and the road was too narrow to reverse. I think they quite rapidly realized there was a limit to how pissed off they could be......

Did it change their behaviour in future? Probably not. Was it amusing, yes.

To be fair I only took about five / ten minutes to drink my tea and I the sun was a bit too hot so it wasn't as protracted a wait as it could have been.

The really mean one I did was on the same road when again driving home. I was in my battered and tatty Micra which someone had driven into the back of so the rear wheel arch had a definitely not IVA approved rather sharp metal crease sticking out of the rear wheel arch. I almost got to my house down the narrow section (wall to wall parked cars) before a brand new BMW came hooning in the opposite direction before slamming on the anchors one car length in front of a parking space. The driver started gesticulating for me to move backwards. I leaned out and shouted that it was about 80 metres I would have to reverse and couldn't he just reverse in to which he shook his head and started moving fowards. So I duly stuck it in reverse and started going backwards. All the way up the road he was about 2 inches from my front bumper. Eventually 80m up the road I found a space I could reverse into. The space was small so it wasn't possible to pull in very near to the kerb without doing a 40 point parking manoever (so I didn't bother) and when I parked I let the front of the car swing beyond parallel to the kerb so the back of the car was slightly sticking out. The space was clearly quite narrow for the big shiny BMW. I started beckoning him to pull forward in the traditional manner. Inevitably when the front bumper of his car got to my rear wheel arch that the horrible crunchy squeeky paint-shredding noises started as the rear wheel arch did it's thing. I just carried on with the beckoning and gave him a thumbs up. The funny thing is looking rather upset he did actually carry on and trashed the complete side to his car. Turns out he's one of the local estate agents.

steve m

posted on 3/12/20 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
"I think I'd have mentioned it to the guy first and asked if there was a solution perhaps just starting it in the garage with the door open or wheeling it further from the houses.
"

I believe several neighbours asked him to stop leaving the bike running for 10 mins every morning, and were told to F*** **F

The surprising thing about my now ex Son in law, was that he was the meekest and weakest individual i think i have ever known ! and what he did, was totally out of character, and out of every one local to him, would never of guessed he did the dead, im still not sure i believe it either !

BenB

posted on 3/12/20 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you ex son in law did the dead it's probably just as well he's the ex. Filthy bugger. Although apparently it's actually not illegal. Or rather it can be depending on how you obtain the body. I almost wrote "come across" but......
coyoteboy

posted on 4/12/20 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm on the receiving end of noisy vehicles so I feel for those folk who've asked people to be quiet when leaving. I have a bedroom window that overlooks a neighbours drive, that neighbour's son uses the drive as a storage area for a commercial cleaning business, pulls up in a clattery knackered diesel van most mornings, smashes a chain off the metal gate at 5am, hooks up a giant water bowser with the engine idling the whole time, then clatters the gate shut and hoons off at full pelt. It's completely antisocial behaviour and destroys my sleep quality (I work late, rise late).

It's only a matter of time before I start finding creative ways of forcing him to be more reasonable and not keep industrial cleaning kit in a residential area (not actually allowed by local council laws).

Joneh - I'd think that that neighbour was being pretty reasonable asking you to minimise noise when leaving an area where folk are sleeping, especially if your mode of transport is noisy. If you did donuts after I'd asked nicely, I'd be calling the police, videoing it and putting calls in to the local council to have the licensing investigated. Businesses have a responsibility to minimise disruption to their local community. Most of them understand this.

[Edited on 4/12/20 by coyoteboy]

joneh

posted on 4/12/20 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm on the receiving end of noisy vehicles so I feel for those folk who've asked people to be quiet when leaving. I have a bedroom window that overlooks a neighbours drive, that neighbour's son uses the drive as a storage area for a commercial cleaning business, pulls up in a clattery knackered diesel van most mornings, smashes a chain off the metal gate at 5am, hooks up a giant water bowser with the engine idling the whole time, then clatters the gate shut and hoons off at full pelt. It's completely antisocial behaviour and destroys my sleep quality (I work late, rise late).

It's only a matter of time before I start finding creative ways of forcing him to be more reasonable and not keep industrial cleaning kit in a residential area (not actually allowed by local council laws).

Joneh - I'd think that that neighbour was being pretty reasonable asking you to minimise noise when leaving an area where folk are sleeping, especially if your mode of transport is noisy. If you did donuts after I'd asked nicely, I'd be calling the police, videoing it and putting calls in to the local council to have the licensing investigated. Businesses have a responsibility to minimise disruption to their local community. Most of them understand this.

[Edited on 4/12/20 by coyoteboy]

Probably should have mentioned that said neighbours method of requesting was not reasonable, hence the unreasonable response .

steve m

posted on 4/12/20 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I just thought of another one of my history,

Were my Parents live, and still do, is a very respectable place, big houses, and very open plan, and part of the i presume deeds, means you cant have hedges or fences around the gardens, so its very open plan

we used to have an issue with dogs fouling the front garden, and always at night, and because my parents lived on a corner, their front garden seemed and still is, by far the largest piece of open dog pooing ground in the area

A friend and i used to walk to the local pub, have a few, and walk home, normally getting home around midnight, on our return, we could see a large dog, doing its stuff on my lawn, this was noted, and observed over a couple of nights, and the mutt was followed back to his house at a distance
The dog was scratching at the front door, and owner lets him in

The owner of this house was part of a family who owned outright a major food brand in the uk, incredibly wealthy, and he flaunted this lavishly

Anyway, about 0200 after good night at the pub, we poured all of the poo through his letter box, that had been collected over the previous week,
what was left was distributed over his from memory three Rolls Royces but could of been four!

The dog was never ever seen again!

Now to end this, the Owner of the dog, and as said was a part of a very well name , i believe had a puncture (nothing to do with me !!!) and decided
to change the wheel himself, however what ever he did, i do not know, but he manged to be under a car, when the jack failed, and he was crushed to death
It made the news, the papers etc and as i know the names etc and address, i googled it, and the dates match, that i was getting well drunk at the age of 17!

Steve

starterman

posted on 4/12/20 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a BMW M140i and whenever you start it it goes through a cold start proceedure. Starts at 1200 rpm and takes a little while to come down to 650rpm.

I normally leave early for work so what I tend to do is get myself sorted and settled then I press the start button and drive straight off. It's a bit of a pain but I know how much iyt would annoy me if the boot was on the other foot.

SteveWalker

posted on 5/12/20 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
In my teens, for nearly two years, someone in the next road set off their car alarm, every single morning, about 45 minutes before I got up. It was annoying enough for me - how his next-door neighbours coped, I don't know.

One of my current neighbours and his ex-wife, used to have overnight poker parties, mid-week, with the French doors open. Lots of drunken noise and disturbance through the night, when I needed to get up for work the next day. One week, I happened to have booked the next day off work. The poker finished about 06:30 and just after 08:00, I started cutting up steel with an angle grinder, in the corner of the garden closest to their bedroom window - they never did it again!

[Edited on 5/12/20 by SteveWalker]

rusty nuts

posted on 5/12/20 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
The dog poo story reminds me of another, living beside the A14 at the end of the M11 it was common to get vehicles stopping in what was a lay-by for residents parking , often dumping fast food wrappers etc. This particular day my dad had been out clearing up rubbish and cutting the grass and was packing up his stuff when an estate car driven by a guy pulled up and promptly let an Alsatian out which did his business, The dog was put back in the car , the passenger got into the drivers seat and the guy got into the passenger side , as the engine was started my dad scooped up the dog mess on a spade, tapped the passengers window and when it opened said “ here you go , take your rubbish with you” then dumped the crap on his lap. The guy then threatened my dad who just said “ not a good idea when I’ve got this spade in my hands , now #### off! They did drive about a 1/4 mile further before sopping at the Cambridge crematorium and dumping it
David Jenkins

posted on 5/12/20 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
On a far less controversial note - electric cars are normally very quiet, but mine has a reversing beeper. Now this is a VERY good idea as without it pedestrians won't know when I'm reversing out of a parking space, but at 6 in the morning in a quiet cul-de-sac it can be a bit... penetrating. Whenever possible I do try to turn it off before I select reverse!

I reckon that if I was still commuting into London my neighbours wouldn't be too impressed with me serenading them at 06:15 every weekday...

starterman

posted on 5/12/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
On a far less controversial note - electric cars are normally very quiet, but mine has a reversing beeper. Now this is a VERY good idea as without it pedestrians won't know when I'm reversing out of a parking space, but at 6 in the morning in a quiet cul-de-sac it can be a bit... penetrating. Whenever possible I do try to turn it off before I select reverse!

I reckon that if I was still commuting into London my neighbours wouldn't be too impressed with me serenading them at 06:15 every weekday...

Reverse in and then you can drive out, quietly. Now that's not rocket science

David Jenkins

posted on 5/12/20 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starterman

Except that my charging port is on the front of the car, and my charger is on the wall ahead of it.

[Edited on 5/12/20 by David Jenkins]

starterman

posted on 5/12/20 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by starterman

Except that my charging port is on the front of the car, and my charger is on the wall ahead of it.

Now that is bad planning

steve m

posted on 5/12/20 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote

Now that is bad planning

Haha, i thought this was well funny, and the day i succumb to a car that is powered by Duracell batteries, will be a very sad day

jacko

posted on 6/12/20 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Your car should have a switch to turn the reverse bleeper off there not allowed to be used before 6am and after11pm
All buses have a switch for this reason
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.