Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New member
ADH75

posted on 26/12/20 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote

Hi, thought I'd pop in and say hello as a new member of the forum, . Wanted to build my own for many a year but never had the time or space to do so, so I've just bought myself a built car.

Now the owner of a Formula 27 with a 2.0 pinto engine that's not long had a 4 figure rebuild. Hopefully be giving it a bit of a spruce up before heading out for a few good runs in the summer. Basically a wee project and bit of fun for myself and my 11 year old son.

Not from a mechanical background so be gentle and apologies for all my stupid questions in advance! 😁

Cheers

Andrew

[Edited on 26/12/20 by ADH75]

rusty nuts

posted on 26/12/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome , just take it easy when you first drive it, these cars can BITE especially in damp conditions
jacko

posted on 26/12/20 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad house and as rusty says go steady and mine wet leaves on the road
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ADH75

posted on 26/12/20 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, my first drive in anger was on wet roads, an experience and a half. It was delivered to my work, where I had to drive to another work site where they were letting me store it (long story as to why, but didn't tell the other half I'd bought it!! She is aware now though).

Noticed I kept locking the front wheels when stopping, so had to slow down well back just incase. Also had to negotiate a very busy roundabout that is a nightmare at the best of times, but now know it really can shift off the line all be it with a bit of a wiggle.

Just need to treat it with respect, and learn it's foibles. I think the thing that will take longest to get used to will be being very aware of your own mortality. I always knew you were low and exposed, but you don't appreciate how low and exposed until some HGV pulls alongside side you.

First lesson though is how to get in and out of it with slightly more grace than that of a drunken elephant!

perksy

posted on 26/12/20 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome

Take it easy until you get used to it and if you get chance check the front wishbones for cracking
I know of one or two that have let-go on F27's and I was behind a lad on a club run once where his driver side failed, luckily we had just pulled up to a junction when it failed (10 mins earlier and I'm not sure he'd still be with us)

ADH75

posted on 26/12/20 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip. I'll get them checked when I next nip up and check on the car. It's not been bought as a track car or fast road car, but that's good to know about as most trips will be wee road trips with the young lad & the last thing you want to do is put him at any risk.

I did try and find out as I could, but unlike other models I didn't find too much on the F27. I take it the wishbones is the only real area of the car to keep a closer eye on than your regular maintenance?

rusty nuts

posted on 27/12/20 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect a lot of wishbone failures were due to the well known crush tube issue. Basically the crush tubes are too short resulting in the wishbone not pivoting correctly when the mounting bolts are tightened, I have, in fact, seen a build manual stating the bolts should not be tight! I don’t know if this applies to the f27 ?
Dingz

posted on 29/12/20 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
You probably know but tyre pressures are much lower than a tin top, more like 18psi. Otherwise you’ll be skating everywhere.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

snapper

posted on 30/12/20 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
How to get in to a Lotus Seven at 5mins in.
Me being 5’8” it’s to much of a bother, the guy in the video is 6’ by the looks of it.

https://youtu.be/GhroAb24uQs

[Edited on 30/12/20 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.