Board logo

Whats the one tool I need that I've forgotten?
furryeggs - 7/6/15 at 08:12 PM

I like to think i have pretty much everything i need for my Tiger build, however I've had to by a 41mm socket for the rear hub nuts and I am now thinking there might be something else I'll need.

What tool can't you live without whilst building a 7?

cheers guys

jacko - 7/6/15 at 08:20 PM

Rivnut gun
Strong arm for your 41mm socket 3/4 size

chris68 - 7/6/15 at 08:20 PM

Me!! I'm the biggest tool in the garage

An angry grinder has got me out of many holes and if that fails a hammer.

I seem to 'need' new tools on regular occasions much to the confusion of Senior Management!

CRAIGR - 7/6/15 at 08:32 PM

Dremel

joneh - 7/6/15 at 08:48 PM

You need an immovable object to secure the rear hubs whilst removing the nuts. You also need some heat. The moon and fires of Mordor should about cover it.

austin man - 7/6/15 at 09:30 PM

Welder for the time when it just need that little adjustment

britishtrident - 7/6/15 at 09:39 PM

Brake pipe spanner.

mark chandler - 7/6/15 at 09:50 PM

Small tub of conviction that you will finish it, large pot of elbow grease and a few more hours than you buget for.

Welder is a good call btw

AntonUK - 7/6/15 at 10:58 PM

Rivnut tool is awesome, others well worth investing in...hose clamp bendy screwdriver thing, good quality wire crumpets, soldering iron, vernier calipers, angry grinder, welder, hub puller, ball joint splitter, probably more

snapper - 8/6/15 at 04:27 AM

David Jenkins - 8/6/15 at 07:44 AM

Whatever tools you've got, you'll find that the one tool you haven't got will be required on a Sunday morning, halfway through a job that you can't easily walk away from.

Norfolkluegojnr - 8/6/15 at 08:06 AM

All the above.

I'd add in: decent wire stripper/snips, 1/8" adapter for a ratchet, funnel, quality screwdrivers.

FuryRebuild - 8/6/15 at 09:11 AM

Compressor and air-tools. Saves loads of time, and air-tools are dirt cheap compared to their cordless equivalent.

Irony - 8/6/15 at 09:21 AM

Ratchet Spanners toward the end of the build when things are getting cramped. I have some Lidl specials. They work great as long as you do the last turn with a normal spanner. Great for when your upside down in the footwell!

CBS catalogue!

neilp1 - 9/6/15 at 08:02 AM

Compressor with air riviter and air saw great for cutting fibreglass. Also rachet spanners i got mine frm halfords for 40quid.

andrew.carwithen - 9/6/15 at 11:35 AM

A powerfile.
I found it to be invaluable.
It lasted me through the Tiger build and 3/4 of the Cobra build before finally dying on me last week (after best part of 10 years heavy use). Needless to say I replaced it straight away.

kingster996 - 9/6/15 at 12:28 PM

As above - especially an air riveter!

Plus: decent head torch, trolley jack, axle stands, good quality cordless drill, right angle drill bit attachment, holesaw, jigsaw, avo meter and an engine crane (used it many, many times, not just for engine!).

SCAR - 9/6/15 at 07:58 PM

Kettle

scudderfish - 9/6/15 at 08:28 PM

Radio

Slimy38 - 9/6/15 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
A powerfile.
I found it to be invaluable.
It lasted me through the Tiger build and 3/4 of the Cobra build before finally dying on me last week (after best part of 10 years heavy use). Needless to say I replaced it straight away.

Seconded, I thought it was going to be a nice optional extra, but I find I'm using it more than my angle grinder for general cleaning and tidying. Has to be a proper B&D one though, and pay a little extra for good abrasives.

loggyboy - 9/6/15 at 09:19 PM

Best tool for build has been ebay, any tool, any item usually no more than 24hrs away from ur doorstep.

furryeggs - 10/6/15 at 12:57 AM

One of those long thin nosed belt sanders???

eBay robs me blind, every time i log on my bank account empties. especially when no body buys my stuff.

SteveWallace - 14/6/15 at 02:08 PM

One of those magnets on a telescopic stick like a car aerial. Without one you can guarantee that most of the nuts and washers you drop will land in a hole just out of reach. When you have one, everything that you drop will land within easy reach, saving you a load of time

scudderfish - 14/6/15 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
One of those magnets on a telescopic stick like a car aerial. Without one you can guarantee that most of the nuts and washers you drop will land in a hole just out of reach. When you have one, everything that you drop will land within easy reach, saving you a load of time

Unless it is aluminium.

joneh - 14/6/15 at 05:10 PM

Worth getting a jar of motivation and a tin of will power for the cold winter nights

furryeggs - 15/6/15 at 08:17 AM

Tin snips have gone on my list as i have to trim the floor panels from tiger to fit...

Cold winter nights will be relieved by heating

Irony - 15/6/15 at 08:46 AM

decent pop riveter. I have a pliers type pair which cracks my knuckles everytime I use the bloody thing. Last night I was down in the foot well and straining to do the final 'twang' and the thing cracked suddenly and nipped the skin on my thigh. I bought a brilliant lazy tongue type and they never seem to fit anywhere! I hate them all.

CC Cyclone - 15/6/15 at 09:00 AM

The one everyone forgets until they need it: A proper first aid kit, fire extinguishers and a plan if things go wrong.
I used to chuckle with everyone else at health and safety being rammed down our throats, until that is the day comes when you are in the garage and something goes wrong and you are on your own with seconds to deal with it. I've been there.

/ Lecture over.