Board logo

Flat Floor / Diffuser
AntonUK - 31/7/17 at 06:43 AM

Hi All,
I have a week of to do anything but work soon. One thing on my list to is to make a rear flat floor/diffuser for the back section of the Ginetta.

Simple question though, what thickness aluminium should I be using. Currently thinking 1.5mm?

Thoughts?

Phil_1471 - 31/7/17 at 07:00 AM

I got 2mm to do mine, and soon realised it was too thick and heavy will use 1.5mm for the next attempt.

Phil

adithorp - 31/7/17 at 08:48 AM

Yes, I'd go with 1.5mm. Much easier to work with than anything thicker and stiff enough to hold it's shape after.

I'd do a bit of reading on the subject first. One of the questions I get asked most about my car is "Does the diffuser work?". Answer is, I don't really know... and don't think you really can without putting it in a wind tunnel. That said you might as well give it the best chance of working.

Primarily I needed something to stiffen the rear valence (it also made viewing the rear a bit more difficult for the SVA tester ) so a diffuser was as good as anything else. The angles, size and position are as good as I could practically get them to what the theory suggested (it was a long time ago so before you ask don't remember the exact details). As a result it should work at least to some extent and I think it does given the feel, spray/dirt patterns on the rear panel, comments from people with more knowledge than me, etc ...and if it doesn't it's a good stiffener for the vallence.

coozer - 31/7/17 at 03:12 PM

Heres mine, 1.5, works a treat..

All of them here: http://imgur.com/a/lQSJr

loggyboy - 31/7/17 at 07:48 PM

As thin a possible. Pointless adding weight for such a minimal gain in aero. Multiple vains should keep it firm enough. And arguably, and an uneducated suspicion would be having some flex under load may enhance its effect.