Board logo

What programme is best for drawing circuit diagrams?
novicebuilder - 10/3/15 at 09:11 PM

I have drawn all my wiring circuits for my roadster by hand. Now I want to tidy them up and make them easier to read and store. I'm looking for advice on a simple drawing programme I can use on my Apple Mac. Not looking for anything complicated as i'm just drawing boxes and lines not full electronic symbols.

Any suggestions?

simonrh - 10/3/15 at 09:24 PM

If you just want something quick and dirty use PowerPoint if you have office on your Mac. Or whatever apple install by default instead. PowerPoint is a bit less fussy about moving things around than word.

Slimy38 - 10/3/15 at 09:30 PM

I also use powerpoint for pretty much any scribbling I want to do. It's nice to be able to move boxes around and keep the connections there, built in functions to line things up, duplicate things etc. It's just really handy to use.

wylliezx9r - 10/3/15 at 10:18 PM

Microsoft visio is very good for this Amongst other things.

AntonUK - 10/3/15 at 10:26 PM

I use Yenka.

Free for home use and it simulates the circuits too

bi22le - 11/3/15 at 12:09 AM

2D Cad like draftsight. Free and easy to use

balidey - 11/3/15 at 08:53 AM

What's wrong with what you have done? Just re-do it by hand but neater. Feint pencil first, then over with pen.
I use several 2D and 3D CAD packages at work. Sometimes it is quicker and easier to not even turn them on.
If you do create them on a mac, I guess the first thing you will do when actually using them is print them off so you can take them to the car.

loggyboy - 11/3/15 at 11:02 AM

Not used it for more than simple circuits, but Everycircuit (app and browser software) seems quite good.

novicebuilder - 11/3/15 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Very helpful.

I'm used to power point so will give that a quick go. Failing that I might just draw it again. In pencil this time, until I have it laid out right.

I will investigate the other programmes but don't want to spend ages learning something new at present.

Thanks

novicebuilder - 11/3/15 at 08:14 PM

Powerpoint worked really well.

I have finished lighting circuit and made it a much simpler layout as I can move things around, without having to redraw by hand. I have also saved images of the common items (fuse box, instrument panel etc.) so I can do the remaining circuits quite quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ceebmoj - 23/3/15 at 07:19 PM

I would be interested to know what Haynes use to do there circuit diagrams. Also is there a universal system for naming two tone wires?