Board logo

How to open "winmail.dat" files?
nick205 - 8/9/16 at 03:24 PM

Afternoon All,

We've started using OnePage CRM at work and it stores all emails in/out to contacts within the database. It's recently been noted however that it seems to store any email attachments as "winmail.dat" files. A colleague and I can't open these files (Win 7 and 10) so I'm appealing for some help in what to do with them?

I've put the question to OnePage themselves, but no answer as yet.

Thanks,
Nick

mookaloid - 8/9/16 at 04:01 PM

Plenty of stuff on google about these files....

nick205 - 8/9/16 at 04:22 PM

I've looked and there is - seems to be an issue most dislike!

OnePage themselves are investigating and it may be that the email sync is done via a 3rd party webmail app. I've also found a suggestion to set Outlook to "Plain Text" email to avoid the issue. I'll have a go and see what happens.

alfas - 8/9/16 at 09:59 PM

i dont know why, but some persons who sent me an email with a document attached end to have the attachment shown on my mobile as winmail.dat

never an issue on my PC or laptop...only on my mobile (android as well as apple)

big-vee-twin - 9/9/16 at 07:00 PM

You can download a windat reader programming for free.

[Edited on 9/9/16 by big-vee-twin]

efiniste - 10/9/16 at 09:20 AM

They're usually caused by a misconfiguration on the sender's email server. Basically it strips off the real attachment and sticks on the winmail.dat file. There's generally nothing useful in them (check the file size, they're usually very small).
IS OnePage onsite or cloud based? Whoever looks after the email server it uses to send emails should be able to fix it for you.

alfas - 10/9/16 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by efiniste
They're usually caused by a misconfiguration on the sender's email server. Basically it strips off the real attachment and sticks on the winmail.dat file. There's generally nothing useful in them (check the file size, they're usually very small).
IS OnePage onsite or cloud based? Whoever looks after the email server it uses to send emails should be able to fix it for you.

means its a problem of the sender and the receipient can do nothing, right?

efiniste - 10/9/16 at 02:31 PM

Yep, almost every time, in my experience.