Board logo

Noise after fitting new Combi-Boiler - Any Suggestions?
John P - 3/3/20 at 11:03 AM

We have a 1960’s bungalow and the mains water supply comes in to an under-floor void. It then runs in soft copper, which is just laying on the over-site concrete, across to where there was originally an airing cupboard with a hot water cylinder.

It goes up through the floor into this cupboard where there is a conventional stop cock but then goes straight back down and runs in the under-floor void to the bathroom and en-suite.

As some point the old hot water cylinder was removed and a combi-boiler installed and to get a cold water supply for this a tee was inserted into the incoming main before any stop-cock. Copper pipe runs up from this tee to another stop-cock and then on to the cold tap in the kitchen as well as feeding the combi-boiler. The pipe work isn’t very well supported but we’ve had no problems for the 6-years we’ve lived here.

Last week we had a new combi-boiler fitted and now get a loud bang when any of the taps (hot or cold) are operated which I assume is water hammer.

The guy who installed the boiler simply said he hadn’t touched any of the other pipework and had fitted a shock arrester in the cold feed just below the boiler. He did however suggest fixing the old pipework more securely.

I can’t see how anything he’d done could have caused the problem but it wasn’t an issue before.

Any suggestions?

John.

JAG - 3/3/20 at 12:01 PM

Fixing the pipes down will help but the easiest fix (at least when I had the same problem) was to close the stop cock a little. You may need to experiment with it a bit to get the desired affect.

A small change in overall water pressure reduced the water hammer by 99% and it took about 5 seconds to do.

Good luck - I hope it works as well for you as it did for me

r1_pete - 3/3/20 at 01:19 PM

He's probably opened the second stopcock you mention fully, after connecting the new boiler, where as previously may be it was shut down a little to reduce flow.