Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aero screen vs windscreen
luke2152

posted on 30/9/17 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
aero screen vs windscreen

So I've been driving two years with neither and finally decided to do something about it. With no screen:
*I can drive hard with a helmet on
*I can drive slowly with ski goggles on
*I can't drive at all with sunglasses (other than a proper low speed run to the supermarket).

*I'd like to still drive like a bellend with a helmet on
*Drive at and enjoyable pace through the twisties with ski googles
*Drive slowly with sunglasses.

Will an aeroscreen get me there? I'm kind of short so will just be looking over the top which should help its function. Also I hear people talk about the updraft it creates being good for clearing the helmet visor in the rain. But does it need decent speed to achieve this or will it still work when you're stuck behind a lorry at 25mph and its flinging the worlds supply of water back at you. Also does it help with the wind noise significantly?

I'm guessing a windscreen and wipers give a bit more shelter. Also a bit of buffeting and take away from the driving experience a bit.

posted on 1/10/17 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
During the time I was building my car I quite often got the offer of a lift to pub meets and so on so I got to experience most forms
of wind protection, or lack of it as the case was.

This is one of those things where each of us will have an opinion and very seldom will they be swayed, so they only way is to blag
a ride in a couple of examples and make your own mind up.

Paul G

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 1/10/17 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Aero screen does work well, flicks the air up over your head nicely, but I feel very vulnerable without a crash helmet on the road.
If you're going to try windscreen, don't just go windscreen - the buffeting is just unbearable. You need windscreen and doors.
On the track it's aeroscreen all the way.
The windscreen is a giant bug catching air brake !
If you do go windscreen, make sure you carry a cloth and some windscreen cleaning product - you're going to need it.
You will notice a performance difference between windscreen and aeroscreen, however there is a trade off between comfort and performance.

I have windscreen and doors for the road and aeroscreen for the track.

Sam_68

posted on 1/10/17 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
This is one of those things where each of us will have an opinion and very seldom will they be swayed, so they only way is to blag
a ride in a couple of examples and make your own mind up.

^^^ This, absolutely.

People have different tolerances, and different levels of risk aversion. I have regularly driven with just sunglasses up to 130+ mph. Others feel uncomfortable at any speed much over walking pace without a crash helmet.

Hearing damage is a definite consideration, to be fair: I'm now deaf as a post, and I supectt that decades of driving aeroscreened cars has something to do with it. Perhaps consider earplugs, if you're not using a helmet?

Mike Wood

posted on 1/10/17 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
For an MoT you will probably need windscreen wipers and a screen washer jets and system if you fit a windscreen.

I'd be tempted to make and fit a simple flat rectangular aero screen (just a single one for the driver) first to see if you like that, particularly if you can't try out lots of cars. Could do this from an off-cut of polycarbonate sheet connected to the scuttle at the base with a simple pair of horizontal aluminium L shaped angle brackets fabricated from flat Ali sheet that clamp together to hold the screen using set screws, and also can be bolted to the scuttle. This before all the cost and time of finding a suitable windscreen and fitting it, along with wipers, screen wash reservoir pump, switch and jets.

Can experiment with different aero screen heights, as well as widths and shapes if you want. An issue will be reducing buffeting, which can depend on your height as well as screen height, area, rake and location as well as personal preference, headgear and how reclined you sit and how far from the screen. Start by copying an aero screen you like.

You could try getting a secondhand glass Aeroscreen if you are less keen on fabrication: https://www.completeautomobilist.com/search?query=Aeroscreen

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 1/10/17 by Mike Wood]

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/10/17 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have fitted a screen to mine complete with wipers, washers demister, a lot of work to be fair.

However I now feel safe in the car - No longer get stones in the face from lorries going the other way, I feel like I am in the car rather than on it.

I have fitted Cobra wind deflectors and can drive it comfortably without a helmet with sun glasses on. I wear helmet on long journeys but it is an open face one, more to keep me a bit warmer.

As I predominantly drive on the road no real noticeable performance reduction, still very fast.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

steve m

posted on 1/10/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I drove for the first year with out a screen or crash helmet, and although it was fun, would never go back down that route
as at speed, it was quite painful on the face, and getting hit buy bugs etc

So I fitted a screen, washers wipers etc, as they are required for the mot, and I do use them when driving

Downside, it does cause drag, and buffeting if I don't use the doors, and i don't, as they never looked as well as I wanted them to

again as said its a personal choice, and can only be your decision

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/17 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I started out with Brooklands-style aeroscreens and loved it, but soon found that my eyes were at risk without protection. Most of the wind goes over your head, also the rain (mostly) but larger objects go straight through. I found out that large insects sting at 60mph, and gravel blowing off the back of a builder's pick-up is downright scary! Once, while wearing a helmet, I got hit by a bumble bee - the bang on the visor almost made me swerve off the road. Heaven knows how much damage would have been caused without the visor.

In the end I fitted a windscreen - there is more turbulence, but decent wind deflectors on the sides reduce the buffeting by a huge amount. Side screens almost eliminate it, but I didn't want those. The big bonus is that on a hot day I can just climb into the car and drive, without having to worry about my eyes. If the wind's a bit gusty I might wear ear defenders, or fit ear plugs, to reduce the effect of wind roar - most times I don't but both are always in the car in case I need either of them.

CosKev3

posted on 1/10/17 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
One thing you will notice with a aeroscreen is you only need to be sat slightly too high to make a massive difference.
Last year I was just looking over my aeroscreen and would only really feel wind on the top of my forehead,fitted new seats over winter and I must be slightly higher.
Now the wind is hitting me on my glasses and makes them wobble once up at good speeds!
Not good.
Thinking about lowering floors now over winter.

SJ

posted on 2/10/17 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've had all the options on mine i.e nothing, an aero screen and a full windscreen from a Caterham. The aero screen was purely for looks and made no noticeable difference. The wind screen made a bit of difference but there was still a lot of buffeting. However the windscreen with side-screens made a massive difference and allowed the car to be driven at motorway speeds in relative comfort without any head or eye protection.

Stu

nick205

posted on 2/10/17 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a low plastic (Perspex?) screen to my MK Indy - worked fine for me. I wore a helmet for eye/face protection. A couple of times it meant I was walking around carrying the helmet as I had no where to secure it in the car and leave unattended.

For me the idea of having to fit a demister and wash/wipe for a full screen was not an attractive option. I'd only really consider it if going for a full hood TBH.

[Edited on 2/10/17 by nick205]

luke2152

posted on 2/10/17 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well I didn't expect so many contradicting answers! But it just backs up what Sam_68 says that people have different tolerances and levels of risk aversion. Anyway I've just ordered one of these: https://www.aerodynamix.co.uk/shop/exterior/double-bubble-aero-screen-grp/

So I will report back on how it goes

nick205

posted on 2/10/17 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Looks alright to me.

I'd suggest eye protection of some form. An insect (let alone a bit of gravel) could do some damage. IIRC OI paid £40 for a low end full face motorbike helmet with a visor. Afforded face and eye protection (and kept my head warmer in the winter too).

luke2152

posted on 3/10/17 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well it arrived today. That was bloody quick! Its a bit thin and floppier than I imagined it would be (the aeroscreen that is). Whats the best way to attach it. Was thinking rubber rivnuts or sikaflex. Any other suggestions?
WallerZero

posted on 4/10/17 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you're gonna be unsure on windscreen or aeroscreen, go rivnuts. Plus if you decide to alternate for track days/less predictable weather like some, you can

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

40inches

posted on 4/10/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted my Aeroscreen with RubNuts. Seven in all.
Morning of IVA, it passed!
Morning of IVA, it passed!

But the best thing I did was change to a full screen,with top and side deflectors.
I later fitted modified Caterham half doors and then a rear wind break. Very snug now and hardly any wind turbulence at least up to the legal speed limit
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

SJ

posted on 4/10/17 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
A rear wind break has been on my to do list for a while.

Did you notice much difference?

nick205

posted on 4/10/17 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Well it arrived today. That was bloody quick! Its a bit thin and floppier than I imagined it would be (the aeroscreen that is). Whats the best way to attach it. Was thinking rubber rivnuts or sikaflex. Any other suggestions?

Does your scuttle have a ridge across it?

My MK Indy scuttle had a ridge across it and I fixed mine on with dome head Allen bolts. Looked fine and not a huge job to remove it if needed.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 4/10/17 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
... Description
Description

Luke 2152.
Sorry for the thread hijack.

40inches
Your exhaust looks very similar to mine, although I will be using two...
Could you send more pics on how you mounted it?
And Parts used?
Thanks in advance.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.