Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re spray quantities
LBMEFM

posted on 3/10/17 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Re spray quantities

I have decided to paint my classic mini in cellulose, any ideas how much I will need. I will be doing the interior, engine compartment, boot and body work, not the roof.
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/10/17 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
did ours in 2k,and bought a 3L tin. Inside was just a light blow over,and few bits needed extra coats.

Not sure how the quantities compare between 2k and celly, and watch out as some is supplied pre-thinned. But I would be buying a 5L tin of unthinned. Been happy with paints from Jawel on ebay.

LBMEFM

posted on 3/10/17 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks cliftyhanger
nick205

posted on 4/10/17 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
I have decided to paint my classic mini in cellulose, any ideas how much I will need. I will be doing the interior, engine compartment, boot and body work, not the roof.

Out of curiosity are you painting it yourself or having it painted for you?

Always fancied the idea of having a go at painting a car, but come back to the limitations of equipment and space/ventilation etc.

LBMEFM

posted on 4/10/17 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi nick205, I am painting it myself, I built a workshop extension on the back of my garage when I moved in and totally refurbished my current house. I have installed a temporary heavy plastic curtained area to prevent dust covering all the workshop which has a opening window in it together with a large extractor fan in the wall. It also has a double filtered air supply. I used to enjoy doing a bit of spray painting way back in the 1970's when I was in the motor trade. so am really looking forward to having a go again.
russbost

posted on 5/10/17 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
One beauty of cellulose was that it doesn't stick to everything in sight (including your lungs!) like 2k does, that said 2k is hugely more durable (way better than modern water based, which you really can't use without a proper booth & heaters, but of course more damaging to users & the environment!). In terms of quantity unless you are intending to put millions of coats on then around 2 litres should be plenty, say 2.5l to be on the safe side.

You mention you used to do a bit of spraying, just remember that cellulose reacts with just about everything including itself at times, so preparation is absolutely key, I would suggest a full coat of 2k primer & allow that to thoroughly cure (bake it off & let stand for a week or so) b4 topcoat. Either that or epoxy filler or a coat of alcohol based sealer, depends what's going to be underneath the topcoat

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 5/10/17 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Hi nick205, I am painting it myself, I built a workshop extension on the back of my garage when I moved in and totally refurbished my current house. I have installed a temporary heavy plastic curtained area to prevent dust covering all the workshop which has a opening window in it together with a large extractor fan in the wall. It also has a double filtered air supply. I used to enjoy doing a bit of spray painting way back in the 1970's when I was in the motor trade. so am really looking forward to having a go again.

Understood - sounds like you're setup to do the job

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.