Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen after IVA?
mikeb

posted on 23/4/18 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen after IVA?

Fingers crossed I'll get through my retest next week!
I've always intended to put a wind screen on after IVA to make it a bit more usable, I don't really want to have to put a full lid on every time I get in it and wouldn't dare trying without with an aeroscreen.
The misssus might even get in the car now and them with a screen.

Views on is this the right choice, secondly can I get away without wipers, I have not intent of driving much in the wet, some rainex might see me through if caught out.

[Edited on 23/4/18 by mikeb]

Daf

posted on 23/4/18 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the retest. All my passengers complain about the lack of windscreen, but I take great pleasure in making peoples hair stand up - literally! I wear a pair of safety glasses myself. I find the aero screen very effective, if I push myself up in the seat a few inches the blast of air is quite noticeable.

Would there be any MOT issues if you have no wipers?

snapper

posted on 23/4/18 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I started using my car without screen, then went with screen and no wipers which is an MOT failure.
I got caught out while driving on a motorway in a summer downpour and it was bloody scary, fitted wipers straight afterwards, added deflectors to the screen which didn’t deflect anything useful and now have doors, so much better for longer journeys

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mikeb

posted on 23/4/18 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
What the most cost effective way of fitting wipers? The new kits seem quite expensive
obfripper

posted on 23/4/18 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Rain-x will work as far as visability is concerned, however on my striker the water blows staight over the lip of the screen and soaks driver and passenger equally, it is fine with the hood on though.
The locost screen is at a steeper angle, so may not suffer the same problem.
You may find that you need doors once you have fitted the screen, as the turbulent air produced gets everywhere and flaps all the seatbelt ends in all directions - usually in your face.
If you can get away with it, use a rear wiper motor with 180° sweep and a short blade - if you rain-x the screen you'll never use the wipers anyway.

Dave

big-vee-twin

posted on 23/4/18 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Screen deffo after IVA it also makes you feel like your in the car rather than on it, and stones from lorries are quite nasty.

I used and old original mini wiper motor which cost £40, plus some SS wiper arms that needed to be shortened.

[Edited on 23/4/18 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

SJ

posted on 23/4/18 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
As said a mini wiper system is ideal and easy to modify. That's what I have and they work fine. Depending on the shape of your scuttle getting them in the right position can be a bit of a challenge. Also think about which side they park. I did mine the wrong way - they are OK but would be better the other way.
CosKev3

posted on 25/4/18 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
As above,be prepared for major buffeting with a screen even with sides on it.
Never been in one with full doors,but sounds like that's the way to stop it.
Much smoother air passage over you with a aeroscreen rather than a full screen.

SJ

posted on 25/4/18 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

As above,be prepared for major buffeting with a screen even with sides on it.
Never been in one with full doors,but sounds like that's the way to stop it.

A full windscreen with similar height side screens makes a massive difference to the point where motorway speed conversations can easily be had.

big-vee-twin

posted on 25/4/18 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Don't really get massive buffering with mine, although it is slightly taller than most and has Cobra side deflectors.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

40inches

posted on 25/4/18 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
All the deflectors etc: have incrementally made a huge difference to buffeting. I am now comfortable at any speed
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=Windscreen

BenB

posted on 25/4/18 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget demist. I'm not sure what the hell pressure changes are happening behind the screen but significant fogging can happen really quickly and can be worse for vision than rain droplets!
SteveWalker

posted on 25/4/18 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
As said a mini wiper system is ideal and easy to modify. That's what I have and they work fine. Depending on the shape of your scuttle getting them in the right position can be a bit of a challenge. Also think about which side they park. I did mine the wrong way - they are OK but would be better the other way.

I am pretty sure that you can change the park position by resetting the relative positions of the gear and cam within the motor housing.

You can also reverse the sweep of the wipers (and park them on the opposite side), by rotating each wheelbox 180° - you can even rotate just one and have the wipers sweeping in opposite directions.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 25/4/18 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve fitted a single wiper before motor from a rear one as there more compact and just had one speed
SJ

posted on 25/4/18 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ

I am pretty sure that you can change the park position by resetting the relative positions of the gear and cam within the motor housing.

You can also reverse the sweep of the wipers (and park them on the opposite side), by rotating each wheelbox 180° - you can even rotate just one and have the wipers sweeping in opposite directions.
-----------------------
Its the position of the spindles in the scuttle that give me the problem. Ideally I would move them and flip the motor to the other side of the scuttle but it works well enough that I can't be bothered.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.