Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can this paint problem be fixed?
smart51

posted on 4/2/20 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Can this paint problem be fixed?

OK, So not car bodywork, but bodywork with car paint. I've got a problem. I'm making a bass guitar and have painted it with Halfords rattle cans as I've had decent results in the past. I sanded it with 2000 grit paper to flatten it but (I think) went through the lacquer to the colour coat in the middle of the picture. I thought another coat of lacquer might fix it but the area is visibly a different shade if grey. Is there ant way to correct it without taking it all back to the colour coat and doing it again?
Paint
Paint

[Edited on 4-2-2020 by smart51]

steve m

posted on 4/2/20 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
No easy repair, just reapply the silver, a couple of coats, and then several laquer coats, no one will ever know!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 5/2/20 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I’d leave it, new guitars look great hung in the store, but, the vogue now is more for the played and used look.

My 1978 Strat is well used and knocked about, its been re fretted, almost plays itself but has never been cosmetically refurbed etc. There is even rust traces on the string trees....

Stratocaster
Stratocaster

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/20 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's a different shade cos you have sanded away the metallic particles that were all aligned on the original surface and are now seeing ones deeper down that were orientated in a random direction reflect back less light. The only fix is to spray another layer of metallic paint, then some more lacquer, if there is no step personally I'd just add paint rather than sand it further back, I don't think it would make any difference.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 5/2/20 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
It's a different shade cos you have sanded away the metallic particles that were all aligned on the original surface and are now seeing ones deeper down that were orientated in a random direction reflect back less light. The only fix is to spray another layer of metallic paint, then some more lacquer, if there is no step personally I'd just add paint rather than sand it further back, I don't think it would make any difference.
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now.

Will I have trouble putting a colour coat over lacquer? I hate paint reactions. Should I sand the lacquer off or just flat it back?

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/20 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
So long as your using all Halfords brand paints you should see no reactions. Just spray light coats and check each when dry and stop with the colour coat as soon as it's blended. Lacquer works best with many light coats and will gradually become shinny. Leave it to cure for a couple of weeks then use rubbing compound.

I make it a rule not to mix any brands even when they say "universal" etc. Simoniz in particular is a nightmare for reacting and their paint will react to Halfords stuff... know this through painful experience

I did this bike all with Halfords paints, came out lovely this was after several winters use too

smart51

posted on 5/2/20 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
So long as your using all Halfords brand paints you should see no reactions. Just spray light coats and check each when dry and stop with the colour coat as soon as it's blended. Lacquer works best with many light coats and will gradually become shinny. Leave it to cure for a couple of weeks then use rubbing compound.

I make it a rule not to mix any brands even when they say "universal" etc. Simoniz in particular is a nightmare for reacting and their paint will react to Halfords stuff... know this through painful experience

I did this bike all with Halfords paints, came out lovely this was after several winters use too

You got a nice finish on that bike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.