Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What bodywork will fit my car?
Big T

posted on 19/6/23 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
What bodywork will fit my car?

Hello all, once again I am in need of some help from those far more experienced than myself.

I have a haynes roadster, so built to the +442 idea and a bit wider than the locost. I bought some bodywork a few years ago, never used it, got fed up of tripping over it and sold it. These were equinox panels. Now I am in need of some body panels and I don't know what ones will work.

I am on a bit of a budget, so I am hoping i can get some used panels and tidy them up to fit my car. However my sources are limited to on here and ebay. Can anyone help me with what parts will actually fit my car? I am hazarding a guess that anything from a Tiger Avon, MK Indy, Westfield, Caterham, will all be too narrow?

I'd anyone could give me any advice that would be fantastic.

I am very much considering giving isome of it a go out of 1.5mm Alu. Mainly because I have access to some very well priced new sheets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 19/6/23 by Big T]

kj

posted on 19/6/23 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

use ali sheets for the rear, side panels, bonnet and scuttle.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Big T

posted on 21/6/23 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for the input.

I have always followed build topics closely for hints, tips and generally just a little bit of guidance. Does anyone on here have any links to build that have built panels our of Ali, done it themselves and can give any guidance?

I suspect that the side panels will be the easiest to get done as I can chuck them in a press and properly fold them. I think I even recall seeing flat patterns in the book.

Regarding the bonnet and scuttle, I imagine the best way to do it would be to make a frame to then roll and afix the panel onto. Fortunately I will be able to laser cut some profile that I can use as the structure which I guess would help.

The rear tub I imagine will be an absolute pig. I suppose it'll be a case of getting the main, flat back section secured to the frame and then remove some material and begin to roll it around the rear 1/4 tub section little by little.

I always disregarded it as i suspected it would be very difficult!

kj

posted on 21/6/23 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Side panel are the easiest, the scuttle use the frame if its like the book one, same with the rear panel, my bonnet, size from scuttle to nose come and then use a lamp post to bend it around.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

Slimy38

posted on 21/6/23 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have either of the Locost books, the '£250' or 'on a budget' books? Both describe how the rear panel is dressed around the rear bar, as well as how to achieve the curve on the bonnet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.