Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smoke detection of leaks
macc man

posted on 14/10/23 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Smoke detection of leaks

Has anyone ever used smoke to find a water leak their car. I have a leaking soft top on a BMW Z3 and cannot find the source of the leak.
Would a smoke pellet used for chimneys be any use and would it taint the interior with the smoke. Thanks for any help.

40inches

posted on 14/10/23 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
You could try one of those air con cleaners that you place on the floor of the car?
macc man

posted on 15/10/23 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, I have just ordered one lets see if it does the trick.
nick205

posted on 16/10/23 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Watching with curiosity.

Never had a soft top or needed to find a leak in one.

coyoteboy

posted on 17/10/23 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Last time I had to find a leak I used food colouring and a watering can, but I didn't have to worry bout staining the black carpet, just find the dribble.

I'm not sure smoke would penetrate anything but a large hole, and therefore any tiny whisps will be dissipated by ambient air very quickly - make sure you're in a garage away from wind!

adithorp

posted on 17/10/23 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
The AC aerosol cans I've used don't produce a sustained smoke and I think if they did you'd need a positive pressure difference to force it out. How big is the ingress? It could be a tiny crack that capillary action is letting water through.

There's a reason we no longer deal with leaks into the interior at work anymore: They're a pain in the arse.

ReMan

posted on 20/10/23 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
Has anyone ever used smoke to find a water leak their car. I have a leaking soft top on a BMW Z3 and cannot find the source of the leak.
Would a smoke pellet used for chimneys be any use and would it taint the interior with the smoke. Thanks for any help.

My P-car has many forum based problems and resolutions for soft and hard top versions leaking into the car/floor etc.
It seems that most are covered, but there can be some work to check them all.

As quick look online suggests similar pitfalls with the Z3 (I have a soft spot and nearly bought a Z3-M Coupe) so sadly a case of working through them if its not that obvious, but I don't think smoke will smoke out the culprit :-(

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/23 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Have you check the drains have not blocked? Their next to the seats under the trim. Blocked drains are a common problem with modern soft tops and sunroofs indeed all over the car they can cause havoc.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.