Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: kinda OT but making 'glass parts...
merkurman

posted on 15/12/02 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
kinda OT but making 'glass parts...

well this is a little off topic but I am wanting to make a glass hood for my merkur but am worried of bonding a mold to it. I have laid glass before for repairs and such but never made a mold before. how gloosy does it need to be? will fresh paint cured well with a good buffing work followed with parting wax?

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 15/12/02 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally as glossy as possible.
The paint must be cured REALLY REALLY REALLY well (you get the point?)

3 coats of mold wax and then a coat of PVA would be my advice.

I'm molding right now so this advice is fresh....

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

Checkout "bodywork 2"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 15/12/02 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

I'm molding right now

Hey Alan, I thought you were supposed to be English, or has the "u" key on your keyboard stopped working

John

[Edited on 15/12/02 by interestedparty]

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Stu16v

posted on 15/12/02 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think Location.....Florida may be the giveaway........

Dont just build it.....make it!

Simon

posted on 16/12/02 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Alan

Agree with your advice - would suggest however that you recommend it after demoulding:-) - just in case.

Merkurman,

Actually what Alan B says, I'd go along with, although Jim Dudley's Avon book suggests 5 coats of mould wax (dried and polished, followed by the PVA (polyvinyl alcohol).

Also, once you've made your mould, allow it to cure for at least two days, likewise when you take your "original" from your mould - don't demould too soon.

Would be worth (possibly) getting advice from suppliers.

I'll be in same boat soon - am making scuttle plug at present, and will be making bonnet sometime to - More pics tomorrow!!

Stu,

Believe Alan's an expat

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 16/12/02 by Simon]

Alan B

posted on 16/12/02 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
Simon, I guess it depends which book you read or which wax you buy
The wax I use "Collinite mold release" recommends 3 coats....I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to say 5 if though it was better.

Best advice....read the tin...

And yes I do try to speak UK English on UK boards....just forgot for a minute

And yes again, I am an ex-pat...been here 8 years..

merkurman

posted on 18/12/02 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
since the hood needs a repaint I was going to DA it bare then shoot some self ectching primer on it then some lacquer and let it sit all winter. come spring I was going to buff it out and start on a mold. can I spray gelcoat out of a real cheap ass media sprayer? not even a cup gun but a all plastic deal for spraying chemicals unthinned. or what about a undercoating gun? mainly I am kinda poor and laying out $150 for a gun is kinda a bit of cash. I have heard of putting air ports in a mold to act as a air wedge from the middle of a surface, is that a route I should go? would a simple tube coming off and a blowgun with large rubber cone be enough or would I need a fitting o it?

trying to get into the glass bidness making some small parts for cars to help fund my schooling and hobby.

would wax/pva over textured interior trim parts not work? like a pillar covers and center consols? or would it need to be smoothed first?

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI

merkurman

posted on 20/12/02 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
so basicly a repaint on the hood followed by a good color sand and compounding and it should be ready for wax? what would be the best way to set up a parting line for the edge of the hood? for the underside would I just need to buff it smooth and fill the channeling holes with some clay? I might be able to get a hood section off a mustang SVO (naca style duct) so if I made a glass hood for my xr4 then I could make a glass version of the scoop and bond it on right? and then make a second mold to make more of them.

so bascily I need ot pick up some wax/pva and get started on refinishing the hood? what works better for mold making poly or epoxy?

you got a email alan? the link doesn't work.

nick

Alan B

posted on 21/12/02 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, it's meerkatman@desicodesign.com

A few answers:-

A good sanding and compounding...yes, ready for wax.

flanges?....I'd just extend the edges to about 1.5/2" so they can be trimmed back.

Blow offs...wouldn't bother with a hood. it should separate easily.

Mold?...I'd go with poly....epoxy is expensive...waste some poly first

Yes, textured materials can be covered...experiment first though.

Anything else just ask....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.