Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat belts
Fifer

posted on 13/1/03 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Seat belts

As usual, I'm confused. I have a set of Cobra seats with integral harness slots (x 2). I have bought the SVA big book and cant get my head around the upper mounting height section. I get the 450 mm above the 136 x 50 block lying on the seat in it' rear position, however, it mentions that the upper anchorage can be the height of the slots in the seat. does this mean that the anchorage can be below the slots and if so, how far apart can they be, or can they be onto one fixing in the center behind the seat back etc etc. can anyone put me out of my misery by explaining the fitting of 4 point (or 3 point harness type belts using these types of seats. ?
Bob da builder

posted on 14/1/03 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi M8,

i also had this problem... i have made my own fibreglass bucket seats. i phoned the SVA centre. they said that the anocrage can be lower then the eylet in the seat, where the belt passes througn the seat is the effictive anchorage point as that is where the load will be transmitted.

I personaly think 4 point harness, i think that 3 point is ok so-long as when fitting the upper anchorage you make allowance for the additional extra loads applied, i.e. a beefy mounting cos there is double the load due to one point and not two upper anchorages as with the 4 point harness.

I had a problem with my seat.... you may have the same.. i have a MK chassis with the upper anchorages already fitted, when the seat is in the car the anchorages do not line up with the seat holes. The seat is symectrical but when sat in the car things go a bit weird!! i know that doesnt make sence bu im going to have to move the outer anchorage point over about 20-30mm to make things line up!

best bet is to ring your local SVA centre and have a chat to an inspector, there very helpfull. can get the phone numbers off the internet.

Also just a thourght... if you use a 3 point harness with your seat. when the seat is fully back (As you will most probably have it and how the inspector will test your seat) then i think that the harness webbing behind the seat to the anchorage will crease up due to the angle at which it passes through the seat. the inspector may not like this as it will cause unnecessary abraision on the seat possiably causing the webbing to frey over time and snap!!! the 4point will not do this as the anchorage point will be behing the eylet therefore less abraision and a happy SVA inspector...

Sorry that im not to good at explaining things hope that i makes sence!!!!

Good luck

Bob

[Edited on 14/1/03 by Bob da builder]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.