Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flip paints
andrew-theasby

posted on 6/4/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
flip paints

Does any body know anything about spraying flip paints? Im wanting to spray my car with the "chromactive" typhoon purpley blue flip paint used on the new MG Rovers, but have only done a bit of spraying in the past. Is it very forgiving? And if anybody else has used it, do you know the paint code as its 800 quid a litre from rover and they wont tell me the code!
James

posted on 7/4/03 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
800 quid a

£800? Holy c**p Batman!

Good question though- would love this sort of paint- have been wondering how to get it since first seeing the TVR Tuscan S in the gold/purple paint.

James

Spyderman

posted on 7/4/03 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
If you are not very experienced then I would leave it to someone who is!

You could make some very expensive mistakes with that stuff.

It is not too difficult to use if you know what you are doing, but as you had to ask I would say leave it!

As with all painting, most of the work is preparation. However with materials like those chromatic ones, slight variations in film thickness will give different colours and shades. Even tho' that is what they are all about you would notice the differences.
It is not the sort of material you could use at home in your garage either.

Terry

Spyderman

Viper

posted on 7/4/03 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
800 quid a

£800? Holy c**p Batman!

Good question though- would love this sort of paint- have been wondering how to get it since first seeing the TVR Tuscan S in the gold/purple paint.

James

The colour you refer to is called Rainbow Reflex and it is only available through TVR..
(nad a crash hat painted in it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/4/03 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Paint does not come from car manufacturers, it comes from paint companies.
Ask any paint company or ditributor and they will mix anything ever painted on any production car ever made.
Just give them the name, manufacturer and rough year it was used and they will mix a litre or so for you.
The problem with the polychromatics, is that they are usually 3 stage and you haven't got a hope of using this successfully outside a well equiped bodyshop, there are a few 2 stage ones available, but tend to be just a two colour flip, still good looking though.
Try surfing a few paint companies, RM, Standox, Sickens, PPG to name a few - they love showing off their new trick colours. They are not too difficult to apply, but you have to be able to lay the paint very evenly, a uniform film thickness or the effect will be lost. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to get a pro to do it for you.
I have been in the body trade for 10 years, got my C&G's and I would not try it, I'll get a painter at work to do mine!
Hope I havent disappointed you too much - sorry

mark

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/4/03 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
the only flip paint i recall seeing is on a nissan (?) that goes from green to a purple colour and looks absolutely shyte.......

atb

steve

[Edited on 7/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

kingr

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen a few alfa 147s with trick paint jobs but otherwise totally normal, so presumably also a factory option.

Kingr

Alan B

posted on 8/4/03 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
the only flip paint i recall seeing is on a nissan (?) that goes from green to a purple colour and looks absolutely shyte.......

atb

steve

[Edited on 7/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Yep, agree with Steve here...can't say I like it that much.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 8/4/03 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

Well, admittedly Nissan do seem to be a able to achieve this fantastically expensive paint job with the Micra (saw one this weekend) but it still looks great on the TVR!!!
(and my mobile phone which has it!)

James

Viper

posted on 8/4/03 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
" Paint does not come from car manufacturers, it comes from paint companies."

Unless its a TVR colour, then you can only get it through TVR they have a n agreement with the paint manufacturers that TVR colours are only sold to TVR...

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/4/03 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Go to this page

http://www.sxcolor.info/scripts/colorinfo.dll/carmaker

Select TVR, press next, put a * in the colour description, press next then select which ever TVR colour you want and you will get a Standox mix for the colour you want

Perhaps the supplier of paint to TVR wont give out the information, but the other manufacturers will delight in giving it to you!!

Viper

posted on 8/4/03 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
did you check the link? doesnt seem to work?

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/4/03 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Your right,

try http://www.standox.co.uk/
and go to "colours online", follow the steps

I have repaired several TVR's, and never had any problems mixing the paint form one of our own mixing schemes

Viper

posted on 8/4/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
ok tried that says there is no data available for reflex rainbow..??

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/4/03 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try at work tomorrow!!
macspeedy

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.html spoke to a distributor in England and he said he could send a sample book for about £40 !!
Viper

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
would be intersting to know, I run Tuscan challenge car for a dealer, so know a lot at the factory and still can't get the paint i want from them...so if i can get ir muxed else where then sod em...

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is a RM colour

http://194.250.208.51/grandbr/accueil.htm

Go to colour information, then extreem colours and select rainbow

[Edited on 8/4/03 by Mark Allanson]

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
look something like it? Rescued attachment extreme_logo.gif
Rescued attachment extreme_logo.gif

Viper

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
unfortuanatly that means bugger all to me, but failing getting rainbow reflex, standox do some pretty cool colours...thanks for the info

DaveH

posted on 9/4/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does any body know anything about spraying flip paints? Im wanting to spray my car with the "chromactive" typhoon purpley blue flip paint used on the new MG Rovers, but have only done a bit of spraying in the past. Is it very forgiving? And if anybody else has used it, do you know the paint code as its 800 quid a litre from rover and they wont tell me the code!

Andrew,

I have sent you a U2U re your query, the paint is not exclusive to TVR, it is difficult to spray (it is a three coat application process), and is very expensive, as it is specially imported from the States.

Dave

PS I am the Paint Shop Manager at MG Rover, so do have all the facts!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/4/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
looks like yer gonna be on strike soon - perhaps you might have some time on your hands to help him out then!

BTW

Sympathetic - cos my mean bastard company hasnt given me a pay rise of any sort for 2 years (same for whole company).....however I find it strange that a company that sold for a tenner and isnt making money is expected to give pay rises or a strike happens. blood and stones?

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.