Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a hole for the exhaust in the sidepanel?
Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 16/5/03 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Making a hole for the exhaust in the sidepanel?

Hi guys,

My next step is to refit my left hand engine bay side panel now that the 'zorst manifold and primaries are in place.

Any ideas on the best way to cut a hole in the sidepanel.

A:

How to judge where the opening needs to go (as u cant offer it up)cos the primaries are in the way.

B:

What tool is preferable for the cut? I figured drill small holes round perimeter and tidy up later?

(Note change of sig.)

Cheers

Dave Rescued attachment s2300009.jpg
Rescued attachment s2300009.jpg

www.nurburgring.org

Viper

posted on 16/5/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
you could try a card board template, make a card board side panel, cut it in half through the middle of the primary and then just trim to fit, adding or taking away bits till you got the desired hole, then just transfer the patern onto the real side panel..

tools air saw is good as is a dremel for fiberglass or a nibbler for ali, you can get ones that will fit an electric drill or operated by hand.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/5/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
machine mart do an hand nibbler for about 7 quid.

it makes little cuts about 6mm long each time you squeese the lever. You can cut holes and straight lines with it too.

atb

steve

kiwirex

posted on 17/5/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
tool

I've got B&Q's cheapest jigsaw in the workshop and that claims to be able to cut metal.

- Greg H

Alan B

posted on 19/5/03 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Viper, that's a great tip!

So simple, yet I'd never though of that.

I've really struggled in the past making holes in panels for steering columns etc.

Big thumbs up mate, cheers..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 19/5/03 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thx Viper,

I shall try it and report back.

Cheers

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

Ian Pearson

posted on 19/5/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I cut a hole in a piece of cardboard to suit my exhaust. I then taped it to the chassis and marked it so that I could re-position it. After having removed the exhaust, I re-attached the template, offered up the side panel and traced the outline of the hole onto the panel. Worked well.
carnut

posted on 19/5/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a similar but slightly more complex problem.

I have made and riveted on my ali side panel and need to get the exhaust made. The people who will make the exhaust need the car for the day to make it. Would it be feasible for them to make the exhaust with the side panel on or should i drill out all my rivets (about 100)to remove it. Obviously im reluctant to drill out all the rivets cos it takes time and may damage my side panel.

Any advise

Viper

posted on 19/5/03 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Why not have a chat with the people making your exhaust, they might be able to cut the hole for you...

Jasper

posted on 19/5/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cut all my ali including tights radiuses with a regular jigsaw and a course metal blade, very neat and fast.
Ian Pearson

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Used a fine blade with a little oil.
paulf

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I use an air die grinder with a tungsten carbide burr in it to get the hole roughly to size and then finish off with a large dia flap wheel , one nearly the finished hole size is ideal and gives smooth edges and a round hole. However remember that you will need to trim the edge with some rubber or plastic trim to keep the SVA tester happy, so you can get away with some uneveness to the edge.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
you could try a card board template, make a card board side panel, cut it in half through the middle of the primary and then just trim to fit, adding or taking away bits till you got the desired hole, then just transfer the patern onto the real side panel..

tools air saw is good as is a dremel for fiberglass or a nibbler for ali, you can get ones that will fit an electric drill or operated by hand.

elewayne

posted on 23/5/03 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
Cuttin holes

I have used nibblers before and they work really great. Air power is even better.
Jig saws can do a lot of damage in a hurry if any thing gets bound so be very careful.
Tape the bottom of the saw or it will scrach the ali.
I really like the nibbler best.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.