Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dohc
dave blissett

posted on 24/5/02 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
dohc

i am building a locost with a dohc 2.0i
has anyone got this block with injection under the bonnet with ugly holes in the bonnet
ps i am building the chasis 2" higher 4" longer and 4" wider than book
cheers dave

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/5/02 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i am building a locost with a dohc 2.0i
has anyone got this block with injection under the bonnet with ugly holes in the bonnet
ps i am building the chasis 2" higher 4" longer and 4" wider than book
cheers dave

Have you set the sump to be about 4 1/2 ins from the ground, and investigated making the sump more shallow?

atb

steve

I wonder, with sump mods, if its possible to cant the engine over, like they do on bmw 3 series and old triumphs......you'd have to do something about the gearbox tilting too.....perhaps im rambling, but it might work. I nearly used an old 3 series as a donor - i dont htink anyone has yet?

dave blissett

posted on 25/5/02 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
the gearbox and sump are level so i cant reduce the depth of the sump
thanks
dave

andybuff

posted on 27/5/02 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I am also using this set up but im going to modity the inlet manifold so that it is below the top of the cam cover i will post drawings when i have got it right
dave blissett

posted on 28/5/02 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
i am concerned that if i change the inlet manifold the injection set up will go to cock
how far below the bottom rails can you hang the sump.the book says 1" . if i can drop this to 2" it will help big time has anyone done this without leaving sump parts on the road.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/5/02 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think the min clearance should be 4 ins - so i would aim for 4.5 if I were you.

Messing with the lenght of inlet tracts can cause the engine to gain or lose torque, depending on how right they were or how much you changed em. I cant imagine a few mods like dropping the manifold down will cause a problem as long as you kep the branch lengths about right.

I had a jag V12 a couple years ago. There was a tuning mod that had insrts put in the manifold to make all the inlets same tuned length. Was supposed to increas torque about 15%.

atb

steve

dave blissett

posted on 10/6/02 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
the 4.5 inches you refer to are from the sump to the ground .so how far is the bottom of the chasis from the ground when the car is fully loaded is this 6.5 inches or more
i plan to use the standard 195 r14 siera wheels

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/6/02 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
i cant answer that cos my car has a v6 ford in it and its about 8.5 ins from the ground which i think is a lot more than a standard locost - and my car isnt a true locost.

I hope someone else thats got a car finished can help you....

atb

steve

Alistair Mc

posted on 13/6/02 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
RE: Injection manifold, A friend and I modified a SOHC injection manifold to fit under his westfield bonnet, the shorter induction slightly reduced low end power, however it revs quicker. He is using standard EEC IV ford Brain, no problems with running. The manifold was modified by cuting the four induction pipes close to the injectors, then welding four short alloy pipes to the cut of manifold mount. We then made a long box welded the pipes to this. At one end the throttle body was bolted.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.