Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metal thickness for a petrol tank
David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/02 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Metal thickness for a petrol tank

Another question!

I have been offered a quantity of 0.8mm stainless steel, together with access to a BIG metal folder.

What's the general opinion of this thickness for a tank? I've seen the Lolocost tanks and they look just as thick (just as thin?).

Any views?

David

Alan B

posted on 23/7/02 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
David,

It's a bit like the old floor question really.
Sure it's strong enough, no doubt, but stiffness is the issue. You may have to add a few more ribs or baffles, but I'm sure it will be fine.
Are you good stainless welder? or do have access to one? This would be an important question IMO, as that is pretty thin for non-expert welders. TIG job I'd say for sure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/02 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I have a TIG (scratch start DC) that I have used to weld stainless. I actually found it easier than mild steel, as it forms a nice pool that's easy to manage (apparently due to its poor heat conductivity).

I have used it weld some shim stock about 10 thou thick - no reason for it - just to see if I could! It was quite easy using the autogenic technique... fold up the edges by roughly the thickness of the metal, clamp the folds together, then use the folded-up bit as the 'filler rod'.

I'm not bothered about the discoloration caused by the heat, as I intend to paint it anyway.

As I said before, my only concern is the thickness of the material - you're probably right about the ribs, etc. It could be more trouble than it's worth, and it may be better to pay real money and get some 1.0mm or 1.2mm sheet.

cheers,

David

Alan B

posted on 23/7/02 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
David,

It doesn't sound like the welding should be any problem. You are right about the autogenous welds too, I always try to get a lip designed into parts when I automate TIG (saves a wire feeder )
Part of what I do is here if you are interested.

http://www.desicodesign.com/Arc-welding.htm

The 5th picture is a stainless TIG application.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 23/7/02 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
You're right about the wire feed!

As you know, TIG requires the following actions:

1. maintain the arc length
2. work the foot pedal
3. move in the right direction
4. move at the right speed
5. feed the filler wire

My MIG is entirely manual - I can manage 4 out of the 5 quite well, but can't do all 5 together properly! At least autogeneous welds means I haven't got to worry about the filler wire.

cheers,

David

Nick Davison

posted on 24/7/02 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to weld stainless with mig and stainless wire on a roll?
Nick

David Jenkins

posted on 25/7/02 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - but I believe it's nowhere as easy as mild steel.

I haven't tried it myself, I hasten to add. Something to do with the way that SS is a poor heat conductor - you get local overheating leading to holes. I believe that you should use pure argon as well, instead of an argon/co2 mix, but don't quote me on that.

Othe people may have another view! I'm sure it's the way that most professional fabricators weld SS together.

cheers,

David

Alan B

posted on 25/7/02 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Othe people may have another view!

Not me, I agree, it's a lot more difficult. One of the big problems is that the wire is very stiff and feeds badly and often you need to use a spool gun (as you do with ali, but that is very un-stiff).

I'd be interested to hear from someone who does it regularly, as my experience of stainless MIG is limited and dated.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/7/02 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
i had my dad get a mate to weld a tank by TIG out of 1mm stainless.

It was 'seam welded' along the extreme edges, that allow effectively a big area of metal for less burn though (so I guess...).

my tank is temp out of the car, so if you want a piccy of how it was done, shout and i will send or put one up.

you MIGHT just be able to see how its done on the pics in my folder in TOL....

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.