Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint matching - can it really be done?
grazzledazzle

posted on 9/2/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Paint matching - can it really be done?

The yellow beastie
<----------

All we know is it's a ford colour. Even the guy who painted it can't remember the name or code. My question is can paint really be matched? A local has mixed some ford colours but none are close. It's solid rather than metallic if that helps.

Anyone? I can't afford a full respray

omega0684

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a sample of it, take it into B&Q and they will match it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sonic

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you?

There is a place in Doncaster who if you take a panel or something of a decent size to him he can match it perfect.
I took a motorcycle tank to him as i wanted some Blue paint to match the frame,after i had touched the frame up you couldnt tell!!!

02GF74

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
hahahaha - I've been through this trying to match a red. In short the answer is no.

And when I sprayed previous cars using halfords tins which were meant to be the same colouor, I could still see the different paint areas - which is why car body shops spray the entire panel.

having said that, I did get a close match by finding a paint that was close then getting some tints and bixing it by hand.

Even though I got a really good match on the nosecone, the untrained eye would not spot the difference but I can see it as I know it is there.

My effort on the scuttle is not so good Rescued attachment zzz.JPG
Rescued attachment zzz.JPG

02GF74

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
do you have a sample of it, take it into B&Q and they will match it.

been there done that ..... no good.

Homebase have some paint analyser but the best they do is to give you details of some dulux paint; it ain't gonna be close, trust me.

russbost

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
You need to find your local paint factor - the people that deliver paint supplies to all the local trade. They will have a paint mixing machine & wads of colour swatches. Forget the fact that you believe it to be a Ford colour & simply ask for the swatches with all the yellows, find the one closest (in good daylight) most decent factors are happy to help with the colour choice tho' they will emphasise that it is your choice not theirs & then they will mix as much of the colour as you want from 1/2 litre upwards. If they are any good it will be very close, if not so good just thin it out (use lacquer if necessary) & blend it into the local panel work - I assure you it can be done, I spent many years in the motor trade doing just this sort of thing!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like daytona yellow to me, Mk1 Capri's - ah the nostalgia

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

sebastiaan

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
It can be done. By a Pro.

I've had panit matched to a number of different colours (always by the same guy!) and almost every time it was nigh on perfect. Even on a red car, and that's a notoriously difficult colour to get right.

So, look for a professional, take a panel (or the entire car) and it'll be fine.

Good luck!
Sebastiaan

grazzledazzle

posted on 9/2/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps.
I should add i'm changing my bonnet for a new one and need the panel painted to match the car I also want some stone chips sorted. Everyone tells me solid yellow is a pain in the arse....

Any pro's around west yorkshire area? Car's in storage at the moment M1 J39.

fazerruss

posted on 9/2/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Take your panel to be matched to supertune automotive, they're on Elland road near the Leeds ground. A few years ago my brother scraped my Yamaha jetski so I took the lid to them and left it with em for a couple of days . They mixed a perfect paint match . The colour was white which really is a pain in the ar$e to match.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - sure can.... and good enough done properly to be as perfect as can be. A proper paint factor or body shop will do the measurement spectroscopically using their fancy machine and this then can be used to mix the paint perfectly. My old car had one large panel painted to match the 6 year old gelcoat - can you spot the odd one out??

Image deleted by owner

PS its a new bonnet

Ninehigh

posted on 11/2/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the easiest thing to do is find some paint that's close and do the whole lot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.