Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best kit magazine for me to advertise in?
mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Best kit magazine for me to advertise in?

I'm ok for work at the moment, but need to consider the future. I'm planning to advertise in a kit magazine, either Kit Car Magazine or Complete Kit Car.

Any thoughts as to the best one to choose?

John

grazzledazzle

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Kit car is nothing but adverts in my opinion. The local shops no longer even bother stocking it. I think complete kit car has the highest circulation figures at the moment, although i stand to be corrected...
Online adverts on totalkitcar / owners clubs might be more effective?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Total Kit Car also have a magazine now so thats a 3rd option. I'd agree Kit Car is just a 100 pages of adverts too so yours may get a little lost amongst them.

An idea though - might be worth talking to the mags about doing an article on your new business alongside advertising with them??

oldtimer

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the nest way of deciding was to ask magazines for their press pack and check their circulation figures, they may even manage some demographics of buyers.
rusty nuts

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Doe's anyone still buy kit car mags? Got fed up with all the bitching a few years ago and the odd one I do buy is all regurgitated and adds
mookaloid

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone on here actually used Mr Hendersons services?

Has he got any happy customers?

Happy customers are the best advert anyone can get in my opinion...

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

McLannahan

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Doe's anyone still buy kit car mags? Got fed up with all the bitching a few years ago and the odd one I do buy is all regurgitated and adds

I felt that - so very true of the KC mags a year or so back. I met the guys from Complete Kit Car and was pleasantly surprised how much more professional they were and down to earth too.

I became a subscriber back at Stafford I think and don't regret it one bit. Still a great mag and I'm a very happy reader and subscriber!

mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

I have three customers from this forum (the only place I advertise at the moment) and nobody has complained so far

However, although I have reason to hope that they will speak kindly of me, who are they going to speak to?

That's the thing about advertising, it's a question of how many interested people you can reach.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. CKC is more expensive than KCM and I've never liked the preponderance of adverts in KCM either. I'll talk to them both some more, and get their circulation figures

John

mookaloid

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

I have three customers from this forum (the only place I advertise at the moment) and nobody has complained so far

However, although I have reason to hope that they will speak kindly of me, who are they going to speak to?

That's the thing about advertising, it's a question of how many interested people you can reach.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. CKC is more expensive than KCM and I've never liked the preponderance of adverts in KCM either. I'll talk to them both some more, and get their circulation figures

John

Why not ask them if they would be happy to post up their experiences of dealing with you. Positive testimonials give potential customers confidence to deal with the business.

JamJah

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Could you get a couple cars youve worked on and get a stand somewhere? Finished product with close inspection is what people really want to see before parting with their money.
If going down the 'not in person approach' have you thought about online ads on forums and owners clubs. Probably more productive.

[Edited on 24/2/0909 by JamJah]

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamJah
Could you get a couple cars youve worked on and get a stand somewhere? Finished product with close inspection is what people really want to see before parting with their money.

The show organisers charge extortionate fees for a stand - even some of the big boys are cutting back on exhibiting. It's far too much money for a small one-man business.

mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why not ask them if they would be happy to post up their experiences of dealing with you. Positive testimonials give potential customers confidence to deal with the business.

I expect they would do that, one of them has already said so. The problem is who apart from us is going to read it?

The whole point of the magazine advert is to reach people who are currently unaware of my service.

John

rusty nuts

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered handing out fliers at some of the shows? Small outlay and would reach the sort of customer you are looking for?
mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamJah

It's an idea, but, as David points out, it's pretty expensive. In any case, my thing is finishing off cars that the owners (or even the previous owners) have started. So I would be showing someone else's work and in large part either taking the credit, or the blame! for something I hadn't done.

My main thing is finishing cars (especially wiring) that people have just run out of time, or patience, or space with.

John

mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Have you considered handing out fliers at some of the shows? Small outlay and would reach the sort of customer you are looking for?

No, I haven't considered it and no I don't think it would reach my type of customer. People at shows are planning to do the whole thing themselves, and many of them will. My type of customer has already made his purchase, maybe even a couple of years ago. He isn't going to any shows when he's already got a bogged down project in his garage.

In most cases the builder simply runs out of time, and needs to get the project finished to sell on or drive.

John

mookaloid

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I expect they would do that, one of them has already said so. The problem is who apart from us is going to read it?

The whole point of the magazine advert is to reach people who are currently unaware of my service.

John

Well if these customers were to post testimonials on here, there are currently over 20,000 registered members, most of whom, I would guess, have some interest in building cars and possibly in having work done.

If I was looking for someone, it wouldn't matter what you put in an ad in a kit car mag or the like, it wouldn't make me want to place my business with you. What would make a difference to me would be first hand accounts from satisfied customers.

LCB might not capture the entire market for frustrated kit car builders or whatever your target market is, but it's somewhere to start and it's free as far as you are conerned - you already have trader status.

I think if you want to be successful with a service such as the one you seem to be offering you need to build a good reputation. We have seen examples on here of good and bad reputations and the good ones get business without a lot of advertising because the word of mouth is very powerful.

As far as I know even on here, you don't have a reputation either way for your work. I've never seen anyone say go to that Mr Henderson - he's an expert who'll sort what ever it is out for you. I could have missed the posts of course......

James

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's an idea, but, as David points out, it's pretty expensive. In any case, my thing is finishing off cars that the owners (or even the previous owners) have started. So I would be showing someone else's work and in large part either taking the credit, or the blame! for something I hadn't done.

My main thing is finishing cars (especially wiring) that people have just run out of time, or patience, or space with.

John

Don't forget Practical Performance Car as a possible option.

What about buying a ropey part-built car or something, taking a load of photos/videos, then doing it up to high standard and exhibit that.

Also, do you have a website? In this day and age I'd have thought that was a must. I was the 1st thing I looked for (you can link it off your LB profile) when I was reading this post.

Could you advertise on Pistonheads?

Hope that helps,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
[
If I was looking for someone, it wouldn't matter what you put in an ad in a kit car mag or the like, it wouldn't make me want to place my business with you. What would make a difference to me would be first hand accounts from satisfied customers.

Indeed, and they shall have them. But first they have to know that I exist.

It's reasonable to assume that most of the active readers of LCB (a small proportion of the registered members) already know what I do. Of those, only a small proportion would be in the market for my service. Those that are in the market will then make their enquiries as to whether or not they want to go ahead. Most likely that would be by visiting, meeting me, seeing the facilities and whe work that is going on.

I'm not trying to argue with you (I'm not the argumentative type) but the whole point of advertising is to bring in people who haven't already seen my advert here. What about someone who is building a cobra, for instance, they are not likely to be on this forum, or a GTM, or a Beauford.

The people here are mostly highly committed individuals who will find the time and facilities to move their project forward, and are therefore unlikely to be my customers unless their circumstances change (which is the case with my current three customers)

Hope that makes my position clearer.

John

mr henderson

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Also, do you have a website? In this day and age I'd have thought that was a must. I was the 1st thing I looked for (you can link it off your LB profile) when I was reading this post.

I'm working on that at the moment. It was only recently that I decided to do the kit finishing thing full time in preference to a manufacturing project of my own.

John

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
John,

We do sound a bit critical of your venture, and I think you're being more than usually patient! But I do think that people are trying to give the best suggestions that they can think of.

One thing's for certain - your business case will have been well tested by the time this topic has been fully aired!

[Edited on 24/2/09 by David Jenkins]

bikenuts

posted on 24/2/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
How about starting with a small add in the part built section of the classifieds? I think a lot of people who are “at that sticky stage” look there to see what they might get for the kit gathering dust in the garage before actually making the decision to sell and seeing your add might just make them think?
02GF74

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

No, I haven't considered it and no I don't think it would reach my type of customer. People at shows are planning to do the whole thing themselves, and many of them will.

My type of customer has already made his purchase, maybe even a couple of years ago. He isn't going to any shows when he's already got a bogged down project in his garage.

In most cases the builder simply runs out of time, and needs to get the project finished to sell on or drive.

John

I don't follow the logic here.

Your type of customer may be the same person but in the future, who went to the kit shows with good intentions but for various reasons did not complete the kit.

Don't discount this suggestion. Even if the people who find the leaflet on their car don't use your service, they will be aware of it and pass it on to those they may know may want it.

Also ebay - you've seen the kit car delivery ads - you could try that approach.

mr henderson

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
quote:

No, I haven't considered it and no I don't think it would reach my type of customer. People at shows are planning to do the whole thing themselves, and many of them will.

My type of customer has already made his purchase, maybe even a couple of years ago. He isn't going to any shows when he's already got a bogged down project in his garage.

John

I don't follow the logic here.

Your type of customer may be the same person but in the future, who went to the kit shows with good intentions but for various reasons did not complete the kit.

Don't discount this suggestion. Even if the people who find the leaflet on their car don't use your service, they will be aware of it and pass it on to those they may know may want it.

Embarking on any kind of activity, especially business activities, will force choices. I'm not saying that the suggestion has no merit, but that the likely results from the proposal are too low to make it worth it. There is also an image problem with handing out leaflets, and it may even attract unwelcome attention from the show organisers.

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Also ebay - you've seen the kit car delivery ads - you could try that approach.

That is something I will look into, because that is the kind of place I would expect to find my potential customers

John

JamJah

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you ask for your leftlets to go in the 'welcoming bags' that the guides go in? At work, we had an agreement at a local show that if we did everyones stuffing we could put in whatever we wanted for nowt.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

DavidW

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe try to negotiate a trial package of advertising with one of the mags on the basis of testing if it delivers sales? They too should be fairly hungry for sales right now and it maybe the only way to establish if it's worth the expenditure.

I do personally think that the time/money may be better invested becoming involved in (or even trying to sponsor?) some the various user/builder forums out there. I think the number of potential customers you would come into contact with may be greater.

Good on you for actually going through with it and good luck!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.