Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust routing question
tomgregory2000

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust routing question

I was wondering if anybody has routed the exhaust under the car down the trans tunnel below the prop?
I am thinking of having rear exit exhaust rather than side exit.
My only worry is that the exhaust will be right next to the fuel line, would this be a problem? i would heat wrap the exhaust.
I think westfield do it on their v8 powered cars.

Tommy

omega0684

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
My only worry is that the exhaust will be right next to the fuel line, would this be a problem?
Tommy

SVA/IVA Fail im affraid

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
A question that i asked myself a few weeks ago, but where would you put the silencer? - Under the fuel tank?? - Er... i dont think i would.

I thought about it, and even thought about compartmentalising the trans tunnel to take fuel etc separately from the prop and exhaust, but the dangers of having the muffler under (or over) the fuel tank carrys considerable risk, particularly in the event of a rupture following rear-ending. Thats the biggest hazard that i saw. That and melting the seats next to the trans tunnel!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
why would it fail sva/iva?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tomgregory2000

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
A question that i asked myself a few weeks ago, but where would you put the silencer? - Under the fuel tank?? - Er... i dont think i would.

I thought about it, and even thought about compartmentalising the trans tunnel to take fuel etc separately from the prop and exhaust, but the dangers of having the muffler under (or over) the fuel tank carrys considerable risk, particularly in the event of a rupture following rear-ending. Thats the biggest hazard that i saw. That and melting the seats next to the trans tunnel!

My seat has the silincer next to the fuel tank and the parents cars do as well,my motorbike has the the fuel tank ontop of the the engine

This is after sva as i have my retest on thurs, im already moding my car in my head and its not on the road yet

MakeEverything

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

My seat has the silincer next to the fuel tank and the parents cars do as well,my motorbike has the the fuel tank ontop of the the engine

Fair comment, but the Seat, and parents cars have crumple zones and impact protection. Also, they have Bumpers and more substantial metal protecting the tank.

A locost has Fk all between the tank and the incoming car.

The bike, well, if a car is in a position to be able to hit the tank on a bike, youre dead anyway, oron your arse about 10 metres away sliging towards the armco or kerb.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Theres also a reson that factory cars have exhausts NEXT TO the tank and not under it.

Heat rises....

Also, the slightest leak would be catastrophic.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

maximill666

posted on 29/3/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
BigRich has done it on his car & it looks like a very nice job too
omega0684

posted on 29/3/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
why would it fail sva/iva?

The fuel system-Particular attention will be paid to the positioning of components to minimise fire risk. Every component must be securely fitted, made of suitable materials, protected as
appropriate from corrosion and heat.
Components should not be positioned close to exhaust manifolds and pipes, in a way that could pose a fire hazard in the case of an accident

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
^ ah i see, but if you had a fuel pipe down one side of the tunnel, and the exhaust down the other side, with the fuel pipe lower than the exhaust, should be alright shouldn't it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega0684

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
personally IMHO if i was an SVA inspector i would fail it, most tunnels are less than 4" across and you say that you could put the fuel lines below the exhaust but the tunnel is a closed unit in some cars and even if you had the bottom open all the fibreglass would become very hot in the cockpit. what if you role the car in an accident and the fuel line breaks in the tunnel for whatever reason you would have fuel pouring out onto a red hot exhaust (NO THANKS!) IMHO its just toooo risky, i certainly wouldn't do it, remember you are more than likely going to have to run brake lines and wiring through the tunnel as well, as soon as i read the post the first thought in my head was

THIS IS A BAD IDEA! just my 2p's worth but i think its the right way of thinking and the safest.

another thing that has just popped into my head is, how are you going to position the exhaust aroung the gearbox, i don't know about your car but i only have a couple of inches either side of my box, no space for an exhaust in there.

[Edited on 29/3/09 by omega0684]

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

blakep82

posted on 29/3/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
personally IMHO if i was an SVA inspector i would fail it, most tunnels are less than 4" across and you say that you could put the fuel lines below the exhaust but the tunnel is a closed unit in some cars and even if you had the bottom open all the fibreglass would become very hot in the cockpit. what if you role the car in an accident and the fuel line breaks in the tunnel for whatever reason you would have fuel pouring out onto a red hot exhaust (NO THANKS!) IMHO its just toooo risky, i certainly wouldn't do it, remember you are more than likely going to have to run brake lines and wiring through the tunnel as well, as soon as i read the post the first thought in my head was

THIS IS A BAD IDEA! just my 2p's worth but i think its the right way of thinking and the safest.

another thing that has just popped into my head is, how are you going to position the exhaust aroung the gearbox, i don't know about your car but i only have a couple of inches either side of my box, no space for an exhaust in there.

[Edited on 29/3/09 by omega0684]

but isn't that how production cars are? ok, so some will run under the floor rather than in the tunnel, but its the same idea. we drive around with up to 60 litres of explosives in cars all the time, my BMW has the fuel tank under the rear seats, and the exhaust runs under that.

I don't know, as long as everything's secure and components are fit for the job, i don't think running an exhaust through there is a problem.

omega0684

posted on 29/3/09 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but isn't that how production cars are?

i cant speak for everyone here, but my corsa's fuel lines run down the right side of the car on its undercarridge and the exhaust runs off centre towards the left of the car, at least three feet away, not 3 inches like in a tunnel. you will find on the base of a lot of production cars there is a heat shield on the base of the fuel tank to prevent heat affecting the tank.
quote:
ok, so some will run under the floor rather than in the tunnel

why would you run the exhaust under the car and compromise ground clearence, the lowest part of my drivetrain is the bell housing on the gearbox which 4.5" of the road service. and the actual floor is 5". if you are running a 2" diameter pipe under the car you would have to leave at least an inch between the bottom of the car and the exhaust + the diameter of the pipe so you are looking at a ground clearence of a maximum 2". just not practical in my eyes. and then you have the diameter of the silencer to take into account, mine is 6" in diameter and would never fit under the car!
quote:
as long as everything's secure and components are fit for the job, i don't think running an exhaust through there is a problem

IMHO i think that the secuity of the fuel system is obviously important and i believe that the SVA inspectors believe this also, but more importantly they are there to make sure that the cars are SAFE to go on the road. i think that once the SVA inspector is happy that the fuel lines are secure his attention would be more prominant on fuel line routing hence the ruling in the SVA manual
quote:
Components should not be positioned close to exhaust manifolds and pipes, in a way that could pose a fire hazard in the case of an accident

i just think that unless you could massively reduce the amount of heat in the tunnel from the exhaust it just simply wouldn't be safe to do so. Considering that the prop pretty much goes down the middle of the tunnel and having fuel lines on one side, brake lines on the other and wiring on a top chassis rail, i would say that there is simply not enough room in the tunnel to run the exhaust either

taken me ages to write all that, but this is just my opinion. might be BS to someone else but thats for them to decide. i find that when i am checking over peoples car with them i try to put myself in the eyes of an SVA inspector, you just have to be anal about everything!

piddy

posted on 30/3/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Why do you want to route the exhaust under the car?
As you say They do it on Westfield’s,. So try and find someone that will let you look at how the are done and copy that method. How much ground clearance have you got?

MakeEverything

posted on 17/5/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just got the dutton, and the pipe on it runs under the car on one side. When you look under the car, it is quite clear what would be the first thing to be ripped off at the first speed hump. It breaks the line of the underside of the car, and takes away some ground clearance.

I wouldnt route it with fuel lines at all.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 17/5/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would it not be possible to route the fuel line(s) down the side of the cabin? (suitably shielded). That way it gives you a bit more room to route the exhaust.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

MakeEverything

posted on 17/5/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Would it not be possible to route the fuel line(s) down the side of the cabin? (suitably shielded). That way it gives you a bit more room to route the exhaust.

I think the IVA prohibits this?
I know the tank isnt permitted in the passenger compartment.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

nz_climber

posted on 17/5/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a rear exit exhaust, then run the exhaust exactly the same as a side exit, have the muffler where is should be, then run the tip of the exhaust out the back instead of the side. (under the axle) Thats what one of the kit manufactures do down here, makes it alot quieter for people in the car.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.