Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions Please..... 13b Rotary
beagley

posted on 31/8/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions Please..... 13b Rotary

I've been working with a guy in his shop tearing down and rebuilding engines. We just finished a small block LT1 350, and are about to start on the 13b Rotary that he has. From our last conversation it sounded like he was "hinting" that I would be able to take it, possibly for free even.

What should I do? I've heard crazy good things about the 13b and I know that it is very small and can create a lot of power pretty easily. Has anyone had issues, outstanding success, horrible experiences?

Lastly, any tips for cheap tuning?

Thanks,

Beags

[edit] It was actually a LS1, not LT1

[Edited on 8/31/2009 by beagley]

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

BenB

posted on 31/8/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Main issue from what I've heard is tip-wear. Other than that Wankels are pretty good engines... as you mention small and reasonably powerful..
Richard Quinn

posted on 31/8/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
...and generate a lot of heat.
Canada EH!

posted on 31/8/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
And burn a lot of gas, my Son has an RX8 and on long trips with a friend driving his Corvette LS1, they get the same gas mileage.
Check the oil every 1000 miles, they like that too.
Put a 48 IDA Weber on one, bridge port the cylinders and HANG ON.
There is one here in Ontario in a Locost and he has won Autocross three years in a row in modified.

hobbsy

posted on 31/8/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard they are very sensitive to getting the fuelling absolutely spot on. If you don't then I think thats one of the things that accelerates the tip wear.
andkilde

posted on 31/8/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mazdatrix, among others, have porting templates available -- the engine has no camshaft in the traditional sense so porting controls induction timing and overlap in a similar fashion without the expense of purchasing new camshafts. There are all sorts of porting options available, worth a few minutes of googling. Also, there are a number of options available for apex seals.

Also, a rotary seven really needs one of these mufflers

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 31/8/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Very common in 7's - in fact they are the South African equivalent of BEC's. Most often in turbo format.

Many of them drop the oil pump and run with two stroke oil in the fuel to bypass oil problems. This is one motor that shouldn't be modified unless you really know what you are doing. (I don't but have read extensively about them)

Why worry about fuel consumption in a 7 - with the annual mileage most do fuel is hardly a major expense.

I would definitely go with a turbo motor if I was going the rotary route - they are cheap enough to scrap when seals give problems at about 200 pounds per motor in SA.

Tuning is simple if you know what you are doing (enlarge the inlet and exhaust ports)- the only problem is you need a very good (and expensive) after market efi and ignition computer as the right injection and ignition timing is essential to prevent fuel blow through into the exhaust chamber, especially if you have modified the ports.

They are also VERY noisy but still will make huge power in the right hands and you should easily get 40 000km out of seals if the motor was built right with the right seals so can make big power reliably - 350 reliable hp is easily achieved with a turbo motor.

[Edited on 31/8/09 by Ivan]

Volvorsport

posted on 31/8/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
geff at reworx maps them to about 400 on a single turbo .

geff had one in a westfield and promptly stuck it backwards through a field .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

CGILL

posted on 31/8/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
They aren't as light as the look, but then not bad compared to a pinto
Just keep the oil system in good nick, and a nice big oil cooler, oil is a big part of the cooling system and is also injected into the intake to lube the apex seals, so no synthetic
Exhaust gases run VERY hot, so thick wall headers, and pref. ceramic coating to protect everything that the go past (like legs). They are well suited to a seven and have a very flat torque curve. you may have a bit of fun keeping the noise down

beagley

posted on 31/8/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Exhaust gases run VERY hot, so thick wall headers, and pref. ceramic coating to protect everything that the go past (like legs).

Has anyone heard of "lizard skin"? I will definitely be using it for heat protection.

I have NO idea about sound ordinances for getting a vehicle tagged here in the states. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.