Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions Problem
BKLOCO

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions Problem

As some of the older members of this forum may know I built a Silver top Zetec powered GTS panther in 2006.
It SVA'd with no major problems.
In 2008 I exported the car to Cyprus, Where I now live permanently.
It went through all the relevant registration formalities and was registered on Cyprus plates.
It is now time for it's Bi annual MOT type test.
Now comes the problem.
Unlike in the UK the authorities are not interested in the year of manufacture of the engine for setting the emission levels but rather the year of first registration of the car. 2006
2006 regs are obviously far and away more stringent than DIY levels attainable from a silver top Zetec even with a cat.
I'm running a single throttle body with MegaSquirt and no matter what I do to the map there is no way I can get close to the emissions they are calling for.
There is no rolling road that is accessible by the public so I'm kinda on my own here.
Any one got any suggestions (apart from a bent test by bribing the tester.)

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of cat are you using? You may need one that works a bit better, they should sort many issues (and keep it for the next test)
Something off a late tintop would probably do the trick?

coyoteboy

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think the only way you'd get close is by getting a wideband lambda mounted in there with a decent CAT mounted close to the engine and get it as close as possible to stoic at idle/wherever the test is done, then find a friendly tester or garage who has the kit to test the emissions befor the test.

Or maybe you could weld in an exhaust bypass pipe and a temporary and very quiet silencer on it so the tester doesn't realise its a twin-exit setup with the second exit hidden. You could blank it off after test but pre-test it should help to at least halve your readings.

[Edited on 6/4/11 by coyoteboy]

BKLOCO

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I had thought of going down this route but wasn't sure it would be the answer.
Photos of exhaust system are Here.
It is a ceramic cat from the States.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

adithorp

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
What are the requirements to pass and what are the readings you're getting now? Without knowing that it's imposible to advise.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big_wasa

posted on 6/4/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Run it on standard mondeo managment And it will pass no problem.
BenTyreman

posted on 6/4/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just passed IVA with a 5.7 litre Chevy. It easily passed the most strict current emissions standards. The key is to make sure the cats have plenty of time to heat up before the readings are taken and don't let the cats drop in temp between fast idle and natural idle. A closed loop system (either a wideband or a narrow band) is virtually a requirement to ensure the correct lambda at fast idle. As soon as the cats cool down you can see the CO levels rise by 10 to 100 times.

Chippy

posted on 6/4/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
You could try wrapping the exhaust as far as the cat which would put more heat into it, (shame as it looks really cool), and then take it off after the "MOT". Just a thought. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.