Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What to Buy?
RACER101

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
What to Buy?

I am planning on starting my first build towards the end of the summer and I would be very interested in views about what to buy and what definately not to buy!

I know that I want a '7' type car and it looks as though buying 'a part built but lost interest/run out of money' kit makes sense in terms of cost?

Although I have never built a kit from scratch I have prepared and raced cars for over 20 years so I have done a few rebuilds when I occasionally ran out of talent. I am pretty used to messing around with the oily bits etc. and have a reasonably well equipped workshop.

My intention is to primarily use whatever I build for track days but some sunny day road use could be on the cards too. Handling and performance are much more important to me than shiney bling.

I am familiar with MKs Indy which impresses me (although some apparent customer services issues reported elsewhere on this forum is a bit of a worry) and I have also raced a Westfield (good) and a Fisher Fury (less good!) but beyond these marques I have little knowledge about other makes.

Bike engines particularly appeal having run a Busa engined racecar but what else is worth considering (I am a bit out of touch with recent bike developments)? That said I am not opposed to a conventional car engine & gearbox either.

Thank you. All views very much appreciated to help me make a better informed decision.

Craigman9

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the site firstly

I have recently just bought a fully built Mk Indy ST170 and for my first kit car I can't fault it. I thought I would be better buying fully built to begin with just to learn the ropes etc but you obviously have more experience than me.

I have heard some negative talk about Mk but on the other hand I have heard lots of good things so it depends who you speak to I guess. I can't comment as I haven't dealt with them myself yet.

Anyway, you will get all the help you could imagine on here!

Cheers

Craig

mrwibble

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
hi.

if i was looking around again i'd have a good look at the J15, but then i wanted something that wasn't sevenesque.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Beware of the part built cars in terms of build quality as mistakes can prove costly to remedy. You wouldnt go too far wrong with an MK Indy kit at all. Certainly also consider the MNR and Mac 1 offerings. There are so many good options out there though - Luego, Aries etc that i'd suggest you head to Newark show in June and have a good look at them all.

(What you really want though is the Tiger B6 body tub / chassis / front suspension kit I have getting prep'd for sale right now mind!! (only kidding - unless you want a bike engined version))

scootz

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
It would be a J15 or a Raw Striker for me.

It's Evolution Baby!

femster87

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
J15 for me too
marmot0

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
What like this one
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=154470

AndyRead

posted on 13/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an Sdr V-Storm a few weeks ago & so far it has been a pleasure to build!

Andy

danny keenan

posted on 13/5/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
racer101

you are more than welcome to come and have a look round my mk indy-rr race car any time its fitted with a hayabusa.
so you can get an idea of the build.

thanks danny

Craigman9

posted on 13/5/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Danny,

As I said in an earlier post I have recently just got myself an Indy. However, I work away at sea (6 weeks on 6 off). I am due home in a couple of weeks but would really like to come down meet the guys at MK and have a look around etc if at all possible?

Cheers
Craig

danny keenan

posted on 13/5/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
hi craig

yes thats fine come down any time.
give me a u2u and can arrange a date and time

cheers danny

Craigman9

posted on 13/5/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny keenan
hi craig

yes thats fine come down any time.
give me a u2u and can arrange a date and time

cheers danny

Will do, cheers

Craig

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
If cost is a concern then a part built makes sence.

Also have you considered buying a kit that is already on the road, and getting it to the spec you want?

I have a fireblade locost, sva'd just over a year ago. I'd be looking for 4.5k for a quick sale.

That's a big saving to put towards upgrades... And no dreaded / expensive IVA or DVLA.

scoop

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have alook at the Road Runners. A friend of mine has just finished one and it is very impressive. MX-5 donor by the way.
RACER101

posted on 14/5/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the forum and for the interesting views & comments.

I think a vist to the Newark show next month is an essential next step for me although I suspect that my budget won't stretch to buying a new kit hence my interest in taking over a partly completed project. The warnings about possibly having to make good someone elses botched build are well made but (and I realise this sounds a bit cruel & mercenary) it looks as though a pretty comprehensive pile of part built components can be had for between £2K-£4K versus an outlay of £8K+ bought brand new. Its just(!) a question of being patient and waiting until the right pile of bits comes up for sale I guess.

I hadn't really considered the idea of buying a completed car and then modifying it to my own spec but I can see the attraction, especially in terms of being able to sidestep the bureaucracy/cost/stress of the IVA & DVLA. The only downside for me is that I would feel 'cheated' in terms of the build process. The 'journey' is as important to me as the 'destination' in this respect.

It is also interesting that nobody has articulated any dire warnings about a particular kit or manufacturer. Things have obviously improved greatly in recent years and that gives a new builder much more confidence to leap in and have a go.

Thanks again for all the observations. I will doubtless be posting again as things proceed over the coming months.

Mistron

posted on 28/5/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
u2u message sent
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/5/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I spent a while researching the same sort of decision.

After test drives, viewing and research I decided that I would buy a Mac#1, maybe have a look at them as I really liked the car and people who produced them.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mistron

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

did you get my message? I've dropped my price on Ebay to £675.

Al,
Penicuik

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.