Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel particulate filter
Thinking about it

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel particulate filter

Our family dog carrying vehicle a 1.9 Diesel Fiat Doblo has developed a fault today.

Engine management light came on. Car went into limp mode and no rev counter.

My local garage pluged it in and re set it. He said it was showing as the DPF. Car ran ok but now the fault is back.

Is it new DPF time? I have seen cleaning services that cost nearly as much as a new one.

Anyone tried or had any luck with the cleaners.

Car has done 30k and is used in the main for short trips. Not good I know.

BenB

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Are these only on new diesels? If not my 96 Megane ain't got one Every time I give it the beans I get a nice DIY smoke screen out the back. Looks best when nicely lit up by some twonk behind me with HIDs trying to beckon in the nearest Boing 777.....
PSpirine

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Give it a proper good prolonged blast on the motorway (high RPM's / high load recommended) and see if it cures it before letting any dealers do any work on it.

Most dealers will first do ^

steve m

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
+1

i had this on my tdci mondy a few months ago, so took it for a motorway blap, and did not let the engine go less than 3k
about 20 miles,

all fine now!

MikeR

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Read the car manual. My diesel smax manual says if i'm doing lots of short trips i should get it up to temperature and take it for a run down the motorway in 4th at 70mph for 20 mins (or something like that).

Basically get the engine hot and running fast so it can feed in the rubbish in the DPF. If its completely knackered this won't work but if its not ......... it may help.

austin man

posted on 31/8/12 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
they are designed to regenerate but do need getting up to temp then give them a twonking. Short trips build up the soot which blocks the filter. Higher tems better burning less soot

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jase380

posted on 1/9/12 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Or have it removed and deleted from the ecu, had mine done last year by a firm called ecuflash, been faultless since as well as quicker and better on fuel !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.