Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cutting a gas bottle open?
nick205

posted on 9/5/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
cutting a gas bottle open?

Got an old and nearly empty Calor gas bottle and i'd like to cut it up to make a small brazier type thing.

What's the safest way yo make sure it's empty and cut it open?

Thought about submerging it in water?

wylliezx9r

posted on 9/5/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Make a hole in it and fill it with water is a method I have seen used.

HTH Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Easier just to just to use a 13" or 14" car steel wheel.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 9/5/13 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hole + water idea sounds do-able.

Car wheel's not a bad idea, but I have the gas bottle already and it's a better size and shape.

designer

posted on 9/5/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Take off the valve, leave upside down for a while for gas to evacuate, then rinse with water.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 9/5/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Neither LCB or I advocate damaging gas cylinders as they belong to the relevant gas supplier. I certainly have not cut any up to make stoves and chimineas and I definately didn't unscrew the pillar valve, fill the bottle with water and cut with a slitting disc in the grinder. Tipping the bottle upside down and rinsing will still leave tracesof gas in the bottle. You need to create a positive displacement. Probably.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 9/5/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
i have absolutely never done this out of my high levels of respect for the companies that own said bottles

however....

the 'remove valve, fill with water and slit method' is what i would do

coozer

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I unscrewed the valve after leaving it outside open for 2 weeks, filled the bottle with water then chain drilled the hole out for the chimney.

I left it lying around with the top open for another month before cutting the hole in the front for the door.

First fire all the gas smell appeared and it stunk to high heaven for a bit but that was it.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

EX01

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Neither LCB or I advocate damaging gas cylinders as they belong to the relevant gas supplier. I certainly have not cut any up to make stoves and chimineas and I definately didn't unscrew the pillar valve, fill the bottle with water and cut with a slitting disc in the grinder. Tipping the bottle upside down and rinsing will still leave tracesof gas in the bottle. You need to create a positive displacement. Probably.

ROFL this made me smile so much, also this thread scares the pants off me!

The beauty of a build is not the build or the drive when it’s done, it’s the sneaking the funds slowly past the wife as she remains blissfully unaware!

nick205

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote

Scares me too and it's me wanting to do the cutting!

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
How did you naughty boys, yes you know who you are, get the valve out?
I have tried putting stilsons on it and flogging with a 2lb hammer, with no result at all.
I have the tank legitamately, yes this is possible, and have left it upside down for a month, then purged it, whilst still upside down with CO2.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Talon Motorsport

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I too don't have a grit blasting pressure pot made from a gas company bottle that may or may not be blue in colour. Valve out and flush with water will be fine. A little tip though mark out your cut lines before you start cutting nothing looks worse than wonky lines or an unsquare cut.
v8kid

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

I definitely did not do this either.

I assume that the valve was removed with a very long piece of pipe on the end of a stilson but I don't really know.

Not much use really except the very thin cutting blades in an angle grinder may, or may not, be helpfull in cutting the shroud away from the valve.

Cheers!

[Edited on 9-5-13 by v8kid]

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

dinosaurjuice

posted on 9/5/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
worth remembering that it will still smell of 'gas' even when empty as the odour is absorbed by the steel.

the valves just screw out with enough force.

JC

posted on 9/5/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
If I were going to do this, I would use a little washing up liquid in the water that I might use to fill it as it might seem to dissolve the oily gas remains.....and rinse it several times!

chim1
chim1

Incorporating a fire extinguisher in the finished article is optional though...

Peteff

posted on 9/5/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have it on good authority that you can lay the cylinder on it's side, sit on it and with a drift and hammer knock the valve round to start it then use a wrench to continue (that's how I do it anyway )

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 9/5/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had no idea there were so many deviants on this forum

theprisioner

posted on 9/5/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can I watch you do this from a great distance with a pair of binoculars better still can you attach a web cam and tell me when?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

vyperstrype

posted on 9/5/13 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
REMEMBER.... All Flammable Gas fittings are LEFT HAND Thread!!!!

Where there's a will, there's a death!!

owelly

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

REMEMBER.... All Flammable Gas fittings are LEFT HAND Thread!!!!

Not true! The Butane bottle that I definately didn't take the pillar valve out of was a right hand thread.

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
After washing out steam it out for at least a couple of hours using a wall steam paper stripper -- the drain cleaner attachment extension tube so it goes to the bottom of the cylinder. Steaming out is standard practice in the petrol-chemical and marine industries.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big_wasa

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it wouldn't budge until I turned it the other way

Mine has been empty three months or more, I may get around to it in another three. or not.

Any one cut one out with a plasma cutter ?

nick205

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Can I watch you do this from a great distance with a pair of binoculars better still can you attach a web cam and tell me when?

There's a thought...!

Do you want it done with a head mounted GoPro camera for that extra close feeling?

theprisioner

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
We should have sound, don't turn the volume up too high tho, the event may saturate the mike and we would not get the full effect on Youtube. If Psy can do it well this must be worth a few more hits.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

owelly

posted on 9/5/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
We no longer steam clean petro tanks due to the risk of static.
Good old fresh air and eductors for big tanks. Water displacement for LPG then nitro purge.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.