Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Motorbike Project Ideas
Miks15

posted on 9/1/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Motorbike Project Ideas

Hi All,

Since I've moved out from home I don't have the space to keep my car, so that project is unfortunately on hold until i get a place with a bigger garage. But right now im still craving a project to work on.

basically Im looking for project bike that I can turn in to a bit of a cafe racer style bike. Something I can strip, restore, make a few simple modifications, and put back together. I was think something like an old 250/400 air cooled, im guessing 80s/early 90s japanese bike, but not quite sure what to look at.

Anyone have any suggestions? I want something fairly cheap to buy in the first place, with fairly cheap repair costs.

Cheers!

StevieB

posted on 9/1/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
BMW R45/65/80's make very good cafe racer projects, and can often be found for relatively small sums.

cb500t

posted on 9/1/14 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Honda 360 twin,and it so happens I have a project for sale in my garage
yozza

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same idea, mate needed to make room and I inherited his Suzuki GSX 750F. Stripped the fairing and carb's and managed to get it running after being stored for 12 years. Still needs plenty of work and another project I should never have started as I really do not have the time. I will probably end up selling some bits as it is now getting in the way.
Joe

yozza

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Edit
If anyone has or want a GSX 750 F partly stripped with a 4 into 1 pipe as well as the original they can come and take it. I need to be ruthless and get rid of 'Stuff'
U2U me if you want the bike.
Joe

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/1/14 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
if you get no takers for gsx750 then your could post it here http://old-skool-suzuki.proboards.com/
most chance to get it glued back together.

RichardK

posted on 10/1/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
You can cafe most bike of that era, I did a kawasaki er250 which is similar to the 250 scorpion in the uk or gpz305, I chose it because it was a belt drive and that made it different, probably the shittiest bike kawa ever produced in performance but that not what cafe ing is about it about making the best of what you have and making it quicker than it was! It now is just!!!

Camera Roll-214 by The Bruise Too, on Flickr

Camera Roll-215 by The Bruise Too, on Flickr

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 10/1/14 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 10/1/14 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the posts guys, currently in talks with cb500t over his cb360 project,

Like the bike richard, love the colour scheme!

cb500t

posted on 10/1/14 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
You should have some pics now..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.