Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem with duratec bell housing
TrophyJem

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Problem with duratec bell housing

I have a problem with my new RWD bellhousing for the duratec. Today's job was going to be fitting it.

If you look at the picture below hopefully you can see the problem. The hydraulic clutch release sits too low, so that the pipe holes do not line up. Also it fouls the recess casting for the bit that sticks out of the gearbox, so it doesn't quite sit flat.

I've tried ringing RWD but unfortuenetly they are not there today.

Any ideas?

[Edited on 8/3/14 by TrophyJem]

dave r

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
mine is a titan bell housing, so may be different, but i needed a spacer under mine to bring it close enough to operate the clutch...

with all the variations of flywheel/clutches you have, i think you will need a spacer under there

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

pjay

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Are you missing the adapter plate?

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/adaptor-plate-for-duratec-engine-to-ford-gearbox-hydraulic-clutch.html

TrophyJem

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
mine is a titan bell housing, so may be different, but i needed a spacer under mine to bring it close enough to operate the clutch...

with all the variations of flywheel/clutches you have, i think you will need a spacer under there

I assumed (maybe wrongly) that because I had purchased the RWD bellhousing, adapter plate and flywheel that every thing would line up and not need extra spacers etc.

TrophyJem

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjay
Are you missing the adapter plate?

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/adaptor-plate-for-duratec-engine-to-ford-gearbox-hydraulic-clutch.html

Nope that's there under the hydraulic release thingy.

big-vee-twin

posted on 8/3/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly i think you need a spacer and this has to be measured worked out by installing bell and measuring the depth from inner face to fingers on plate.

Comparing this to the operating length of your cylinder

I ended up with a 12mm spacer.

Also you can use flexible connections.

I used a titan bell, titan cylinder and bearing, titan spacer.

[img] Duratec bell housing
Duratec bell housing
[/img]

Also make sure you have correct release bearing, this depends upon the fingers on the clutch plate curved fingers flat bearing or flat fingers round face bearing like mine.

Don't forget the layshaft bolt too.

[Edited on 8/3/14 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ceebmoj

posted on 9/3/14 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Don't forget the layshaft bolt too.

[Edited on 8/3/14 by big-vee-twin]

Have you got the details of the lay shaft bolt? I have this bell housing when I asked retro-ford about the bolt thay seamed to thing that one was not needed.

http://retro-ford.co.uk/shop/content/duratec-type-9-bell-housing-d010

hearntd

posted on 4/5/14 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem
I have a problem with my new RWD bellhousing for the duratec. Today's job was going to be fitting it.

If you look at the picture below hopefully you can see the problem. The hydraulic clutch release sits too low, so that the pipe holes do not line up. Also it fouls the recess casting for the bit that sticks out of the gearbox, so it doesn't quite sit flat.

Any ideas?

I am in the middle of doing the same thing as you, and I found the same problem. I actually widened the holes in the bell housing to allow for the hoses to fit through and also because they did not line up (as you would think they would) with the ones from the hydraulic unit.

I'm actually considering swapping the bell housing for a raceline unit now as it looks like the flywheel and clutch set-up is all from them

TrophyJem

posted on 4/5/14 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hearntd
quote:
Originally posted by TrophyJem

Any ideas?

I am in the middle of doing the same thing as you, and I found the same problem. I actually widened the holes in the bell housing to allow for the hoses to fit through and also because they did not line up (as you would think they would) with the ones from the hydraulic unit.

I'm actually considering swapping the bell housing for a raceline unit now as it looks like the flywheel and clutch set-up is all from them

I ended up swapping mine for the Retro Ford bellhousing. I much preferred the quality and it all seems to line up nicely (not that I've actually started it yet, but I'm getting close).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.