Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 body removal
chris68

posted on 28/3/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
MX-5 body removal

Just about to start the build of an Roadrunner SR2 using an 1800 S reg MX-5.

I have seen a number of topics that touch on the subject of body removal but would like some clarification from you experienced types out there.

I assume the body is attached to both front and rear assemblies and linked via the PPF and attached also on the top suppension turrets via 2 fixings either side if the central nut.

Can someone confirm how many bolts need to be removed from underneath each subframe (any photos could be helpful) or just good descriptions and the best order of destruction?

Cheers for any help guys.

Slimy38

posted on 28/3/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
First thing is to remove the suspension uprights and replace them with short lengths of tubing or wood, jammed between the lower wishbones and the subframes. If you undo the subframes without doing this the subframes will just drop to the floor which makes things a bit harder.

Front and rear subframes are bolted by either four or six bolts each. They are big so you can't miss them! The PPF is only fixed to the diff and the engine, so leave that in place to have a sort-of rolling chassis once the body is removed.

I stripped all the extra bits while the car was still intact, things like the wiring loom will get torn apart if you don't take it off first. I actually managed to miss the o2 sensor on the exhaust, so now I have a disconnected o2 sensor and a bare bit of wire! Brake lines should be removed, coolant and PAS systems can be removed/disposed of. I took all the interior out to sell/reuse/bin, disconnected and removed the steering column and gear shift.

If I remember correctly, I used a ratchet strap from the seatbelt mountings to the engine lift, then another hooked on to something structural I found behind the dash.

[Edited on 28/3/14 by Slimy38]

rash12

posted on 28/3/14 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
hi Chris68 where are you located im just coming to the end of my sr2 build
chris68

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Down on the south coast near Bognor Regis. Hoping to collect kit in the next few weeks - splashed out and went for the inboard front suspension upgrade!

What stage have you got to?

Fairly new to car building and still getting my head around the terminology - can you clarify 'suspension uprights'?

Slimy38

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, thinking about it I might have used the wrong term!! Basically the shock absorber and the spring. The fronts come off no problem, the rears sometimes have an issue with the captive nut at the bottom. It becomes a little less than captive, and needs to be fixed in place before it can be undone.
rash12

posted on 28/3/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
shockers and springs will be the uprights
I am just at the stage where its going back to mike at road runner for the dreaded iva I bought mine part built im only half an hour from mikes place at Newport

chris68

posted on 30/3/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info guys - I will continue with the destruction!!
prawnabie

posted on 30/3/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped a P reg at the beginning of the year as a donor for my westfield - I only had a jack and a pair of axle stands!! I started by stripping the interior/wiring etc then I removed the front panel and pulled the engine out on the subframe. After that I cut the body in half across the doors, then down the windscreen/bulkhead so the front half was in two pieces. I could then tip the back half over and remove the rear subframe from there. - the scrap man loved me!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.