Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra CVH camshaft cover ventilation?
novicebuilder

posted on 12/6/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra CVH camshaft cover ventilation?

I'd appreciate some advice from any of you who have used a Sierra CVH engine. I have an 1.8L carburettor CVH engine fitted and running in my Haynes roadster build. I fitted a K&N air filter to the Pierburg carburettor and installed the air temperature sensor into the base plate of the filter. However there was not enough room to fit the cam cover ventilation plastic fitting that originally was inserted into base of the pancake air filter. So I have attached a separate oil breather filter to the end of this. So now there is the original pipe from cam cover to new oil breather filter and then the original small bore pipe which passes down into the inlet manifold below the carburettor. I wonder if this is acceptable or have I changed the circuit such that gases will not be effectively scavenged as it no long is connected to the air filter.

Grateful for advice from the experts. Happy to explain more if this is not clear.

Thanks

Bluemoon

posted on 12/6/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
My 1.8 CVH cam cover is vented via a catch tank and filter (as removed pancake filter)... No issues.

Note clear on what the small bore pipe you are referring to is..

I can take a look at my car over the weekend if it helps.

[Edited on 12/6/15 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 12/6/15 by Bluemoon]

SJ

posted on 12/6/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Mine was just vented to a breather filter and nothing ever came out.

Stu

novicebuilder

posted on 12/6/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, very helpful.

To explain small bore pipe: The cam cover ventilation hose is about 25 mm dimeter and runs a short distance into a plastic connector which originally plugged in underneath of the pancake filter. A small bore pipe about 15mm also comes off this same plastic connector and runs down to the inlet manifold to a connector below the carburettor.

So all I have done is put the oil breather filter on to the plastic connector in place of the pancake air filter and put a separate K&N filter over the carburettor. Sound like Stu has done the same?

My worry was that the suction from the pancake air filter was presumably quite strong as it was over the carburettor air intake. Now the only suction will come from the smaller bore pipe connected to inlet manifold and I was concerned if this would be enough to vent fumes and that all the vented gas is going in after the carburettor whereas originally it went into air intake of carburettor.

It seems to run fine but I have only run engine for short bursts as exhaust not completed and car still on stands.

SJ

posted on 12/6/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think the bigger pipe just vents fumes from the rocker cover into the air intake. If the engine is in decent condition very little will come from the rocker cover breather so should be fine. Mine ran perfectly like this. The main vacuum pipe to worry about is the one that connects to the ECU. The rest shouldn't make much difference.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.