Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Red rag to a bull
SteveWallace

posted on 7/8/15 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Red rag to a bull

Has anyone else had the experience of driving around in a kit car being like a red rag to a (particularly stupid) bull?

I was out the other day and came out of a roundabout into a 70mph zone. I was accelerating reasonably hard when a knob in a Subaru Impreza came up behind me spoiling for a race. I tend not to speed in the kit, so this guy decided to tail gate me at touring car race distance (i.e. about 6" ). I know that they are fast cars, but at that distance if I had so much as touched the brakes he would have hit me before he even had time to react.

Don't get me wrong, we all like to have a bit of fun, but deliberate dangerous driving isn't fun. Its not big and its not clever.

Rant over!

leon51274

posted on 7/8/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same with a Toyota GT86 the other week. I'd just come back from a driving sensation day enjoying a lambo and ferrari then all of a sudden on the way home this tit appeared right up my backside. I just wasn't interested in the race so politely gave him my 2 fingers!
David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/15 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've had it with someone in front of me - motoring along a favourite country road when a car I was about to overtake decides that he's going to race me. He started driving like a complete idiot... in something inappropriate like a Citroen Picasso... and I could see his wife and at least one child in the car with him! I slotted in behind him and, after watching the way he was driving, decided to pull back and turn off at the next convenient junction.

I've also had a "sales rep" type car right on my tail - not sure what he was trying to achieve as there was no way I could go faster (twisty 40 mph road with heavy traffic each way). When I came to the next 90-degree turn in the road I just went round at 40, which was well within my capabilities - but he got into a very bad state! Whether he didn't see the corner, or was in the wrong gear, or maybe 40 on that corner was beyond the capabilities of his car (or him) but he stayed well behind me after that...

40inches

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have had this happen on more than one occasion

benchmark51

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
A hand switch controlling brake lights is handy for them. You can get them to slow bit by bit without touching your brakes, just ease off the throttle and go slower and slower. They get fed up, pass you and bu**er off. I 've always done that, the closer they get, the slower I go.
alex1991

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've not had any one try to race me yet, I followed an enthusiastic driver in a fiesta st down a country lane (I kept plenty of distance) but that's about as exciting as its got.
nero1701

posted on 7/8/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The one that gets me is, im over taking you...i can accelerate faster than you!! please dont wait till i'm along side you to put the foot down
tones61

posted on 7/8/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
with this in my dax,objects in mirrors are soon small,

kj

posted on 7/8/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Citroen Picasso drivers what are they thinking about, one kept in the outside lane thinking he was clever stopping me going past , was not so clever when his engine went bang. Explain that to your wife!

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

twybrow

posted on 7/8/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had a knob follow a couple of us out for drive the other day. The plonker was in an F-Type convertible with a JASON number plate. He decided to sit up my trumpet and then overtook the pair of us in the 30mph zone, and then turned down a residential street about 10s after passing us! Doofus!
steve m

posted on 7/8/15 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
A hand switch controlling brake lights is handy for them. You can get them to slow bit by bit without touching your brakes, just ease off the throttle and go slower and slower. They get fed up, pass you and bu**er off. I 've always done that, the closer they get, the slower I go.

Just flicking the lights switch does the same.
my mother, who was pretty quick in here day, in a old 1500 gt mk2 Cortina, with my sister and I in the back
no seat belts then, had a muppet tailbacking us desperate to overtake, even on bends,
on a straight she accelerated, fast with the guy behind, and she flicked the lights on,
and he was gone straight into to the hedge
she slowed down to normal speeds, he was never behind us again

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jelly head

posted on 8/8/15 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I only drive quickly now when i'm out of town and there's nobody about , i just ignore the nobs trying to provoke a race it's just an accident waiting to happen.

The worst thing i find is despite being bright orange the car seems to be totally invisible to a lot of drivers, the number of times i've been on a roundabout and somebody has had a look of surprise on their face as they've had to stamp on the brakes after nearly pulling out into the side of me.

karlak

posted on 8/8/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Now I am back on the road after a few years, with the car being a tad quicker and noisier, I am getting quite a bit of attention.

Have to say though, it is mostly positive, waves, thumbs up and headlight flashes. Mate of mine who I took out for the first time thought I knew them all- lol. I do think there is a certain amount of curiousness though, people wondering what it is, how fast it goes etc etc, Perhaps the provoking into a race is their way of trying to find out.

I personally have my limit and will not go beyond it, learnt that from my Sports bike days, just not worth it. If I do have a mishap I want it to be down to my fault, not by being badgered into doing something I would rather not. That, and I am probably not good enough anyway

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

myke pocock

posted on 8/8/15 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, critical pint made. I am also not that handy on the ragged edge so the bottom line at times is just to grin and bear it unfortunately. I like to drive, not necessarily drive FAST!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.