Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 clutch fitting
chris68

posted on 17/7/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
MX-5 clutch fitting

After any clues/tips from the collective.

Fitting a clutch to an MX-5. The engine is an 1800 MK2 but I have used a 1600 flywheel and so bought a 1600 clutch kit, and replaced the spigot bearing and clutch release bearing. Not ever having fitted a clutch before I have a question.

I offered up the friction disc to the flywheel - fine - inserted the alignment tool and then offered up the pressure plate and located it on the 3 dowels. This is when I noticed the gap of several millimetres all around between the pressure plate and flywheel. I fitted the 6 bolts loosely and progressively tightened them up. At this point the friction disc was squeezed up and would not rotate even before I fully tightened the bolts.

For the record the flywheel is on the right way round and the clutch friction plate had the larger projection side toward the engine.

Having looked at several MX5 parts sites there seems to be some confusion (with me anyway). One shows a different kit for 1600 MK1 and MK2, the other shows the same kit for both. The 1600 flywheel seems to fit all MK1 and MK2 so why would the clutch kits be different?

Any ideas and have I made an obvious mistake? Thanks as always.

chillis

posted on 17/7/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Be very careful of images on the internet as many are just generic images of flywheels and clutches.
The 1.6 and 1.8 flywheels and clutches are totally different. Though the 1.8 flywheel/clutch asasy. physically fits the 1.6 and vice versa. MK1 and MK2 are the same BTW
Using the 1.6 flywheel on the 1.8 seems to make no sense as unless you use an uprated clutch you find it slips on hard accel away from the lights etc. It will also wear out quickly, the 1.6 clutch wears out quite quickly anyway (I've done 3 in 130000 miles)
Most aftermarket flywheels are usually 1.8 flywheels that you can fit to the 1.6 and use with the 1.8 clutch.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

chris68

posted on 17/7/16 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. When I say 'shows a different kit' I meant to say 'lists' as you rightly say never rely on images on the internet.

So back to the main question regarding fitting, why would my 1600 clutch not fit on a 1600 flywheel?

theconrodkid

posted on 17/7/16 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
are you worried about the gap between the cover and flywheel ?,if so,dont be,tighten the bolts in sequence and you will see the part where the release bearing makes contact come towards you,it,s perfectly normal.
btw,you tube is a good source of info as a picture is worth 1000 words as they say.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

chris68

posted on 17/7/16 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I was concerned about the gap all the way around. So this is quite normal and the friction plate will be jammed up when you tighten the bolts on the cover? I assume this is effectively in 'drive' position and will be forced apart when you depress the clutch to change gear?
britishtrident

posted on 17/7/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the only additional thing you have to 100 perecent sure of is the clutch riven plate is fitted in the correct orientation ---- one side should be stamped flywheel side or engine side.

[Edited on 17/7/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

benchmark51

posted on 17/7/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
'For the record the flywheel is on the right way round and the clutch friction plate had the larger projection side toward the engine.'

Never done a mx clutch, but surely that's the wrong way round? The projection should be within the cover and away from the flywheel?

Dunno how to get pics up, but look in my archive

[Edited on 17/7/16 by benchmark51]

chris68

posted on 17/7/16 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well spotted! Friction plate on correctly I just wrote it the wrong way!

Got it all fitted ok and now just need to wiggle the transmission back on.

Cheers for all the help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.