Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side impact protection?
steve m

posted on 6/11/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had never really thought of the side impact on our 7's
But had thought that even a mild tap up the rear, would be very nasty, especially as the fuel tank, is only 14"from my shoulders

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Matt21

posted on 26/11/16 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone made their own side impact bars?

I'm thinking of doing some for mine rather than paying someone else to do it.

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

Beardy

posted on 17/7/18 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
One option that I thought could be made to look acceptable and potentially useful would be the nice "clip on" bike luggage. When not touring you could have them on and filled with crap - or if you want to get clever some preformed compressible structural foam or similar. And when touring you could use them for luggage.
I was looking at a Riot / midlana type car at the time and I couldn't figure any way of carrying anything.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/18 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
side protection was the reasoning behind me doing this on the old MK, it was rather wide though but did give me some where to put the two polo rads...

A 7's always going to struggle in this area, watch even Volvo crash tests and it's amazing how much damage is done and the window airbags help a lot. Best thing to do is just drive carefully in the first place and pay particular attention to situations that expose your side. The use of such solid lamp posts and sign posts should be banned and phased out, there are plenty of lightweight crush-able alternatives in use for years. I'm glad to see the new Aberdeen bypass is using them even for the largest of signs.

[Edited on 18/7/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 18/7/18 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just had someone on the phone who was reading this.

when we had the roll caged for the FIA/MSA designed for the Procomp LA's we came up against the problem of trying to meet the criteria required and offering maximum protection for driver. The other complication was that to meet the latest full FIA we had to have the Rollcage chassis and all mounting points meet FIA and as far as i know ours is still the only seven type chassis / rollcage to pass this test as apposed to just the cage being tested on its own.

The first problem was the cockpit side was not supported sufficiently and required the additional chassis bracing as we fitted to the westfield race chassis we developed for westfield, that gave sufficient strength to chassis to be used as a mounting point but only as a fully welded rollcage chassis combination as when bolted it didn't meet the criteria required in simulation.

However even with all this FIA testing and having actual accidents on track including 60mph side impacts i still would not be 100% confident when you involve street furniture kerbs and other associated things found in a road going situation compared to an on track accident where you are free of such items.

if interested there is a section on the old http://www.procomp.co.uk/ web page regarding the rollcage with drawings etc.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 18/7/18 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Do MK Indys have welded steel plate or riveted sheet Aluminium floors?

Early chassis (mine) had welded steel bottom and bulkhead, later ones riveted ally sheet.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.