Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing side panel
Plunky

posted on 24/12/16 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Replacing side panel

Hi, I have an old exhaust exit hole on the drivers side from an old engine. It is currently covered with a vent, but looks a bit rubbish in my opinion.
How easy/what's involved in re-skinning the side panel?
Thanks
Liam

David Jenkins

posted on 24/12/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Depends how it was fitted!
If you're lucky, it will be held on with pop rivets only - these can just be drilled out with the correct sized bit (squirt some waxoyl in one of the holes to stop the ends rattling - not that you'll hear them anyway) and the panel will just come off.
If you're unlucky, the builder will have used polyurethane sealant between the panel and the frame - that's a nightmare to deal with (been there, done that...)

OliilO

posted on 24/12/16 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it's fibreglass and you can get the correct colour gelcoat, I'd fill the existing panel in place.

Use a sheet of polypropylene (check its that which won't bond to gelcoat) and temporarily attach it to the outside of the panel. Use a thick layer of gelcoat from the inside then build up with fibreglass. Remove the polypropylene sheet and sand/polish. It'd be worth angling the existing edges of the whole to ensure a good bond.

If you need to do any touch ups where old gelcoat meets new, you can then do that from the outside.

I had to remove a bonded on panel and despite my best efforts pretty much destroyed it in the process.

Benzine

posted on 24/12/16 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got a marker pen and wrote 'No longer in use' above an exhaust hole from an old engine
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.