Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - replacing floor boards
StevieB

posted on 13/3/17 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
OT - replacing floor boards

Morning all!

Looking for a few ideas on how to tackle a DIY related problem.

I've got chipboard flooring in the upper floor of my house, which is pretty knackered in places (one area I've replaced the worst bits of following a boiler leak a few years ago, and the bathroom). It's full of soft spots due to water, and had actually caved through in a couple of spots, which I've just replaced with ply. Generally, replacing with like for like T&G flooring is a PITA, but18mm ply seems to have made a solid job of it for now.

The floor clearly has not been installed using moisture resistant boards when it was built.

I've got the bathroom floor to sort next. Problem I've to is that the floor extends underneath the stud partitions, which will be just as knackered as the rest of the floor.

The floor is a bit uneven in places, so I'm weighing up whether to replace the whole lot, or more likely just the damaged areas and then overboard the whole thing with thin ply to even it out.

Where the stud walls run across the joists, I was thinking of simply chipping out the floor underneath in sections, and replace with a timber plate to bring the weight bearing directly onto the joist. But where the walls run in parallel, I need some of the collective additional genius

[Edited on 13/3/17 by StevieB]

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/3/17 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
fit "noggins" under the unsupported stud floor plate and nail in place (through joist into noggin). Obviously work in sections.

If getting a tight fit is a problem then cut short and use a piece of packing (18mm ply may be ideal, but it may need to be more) to make up the gap.

nick205

posted on 13/3/17 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
We had similar issues when refitting our bathroom. The upper floor in our house is plywood sheets nailed to the joists. It was rotten in places where water had got to it, but likewise the plywood sheets ran under the stud walls. With the builder I agreed to cut out what we could and replace with pressure treated T&G floor boards, leaving the plywood under the stud walls. Thereafter we fitted thin (6mm) plywood sheet over the full floor area of the room to "smooth" it before fitting some vinyl flooring. 5 years on and all seems fine.

However I'm aware that wet chipboard ends up pretty soft. In your case it may be worth speaking to a builder to determine their recommended solution - can't be a uncommon problem in today's fast built houses.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.