Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mild steel sheet suppliers
SteveWallace

posted on 18/6/17 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Mild steel sheet suppliers

I'm looking to buy some 1mm thick mild steel sheet for some body panels (its to skin the wood tub on my MG TC. I'm way off doing it yet, but as I need a few small bits for other work, I thought that I would buy it all in one go so that I can generate my own off cuts).

Looking at on-line suppliers, the price seems to vary enormously. MetalstoreUK sells 2m x 1m sheets for £28.51 plus post whereas some e-bay suppliers are charging about that amount for half as much. Overall, there seems to be about a factor of X4 range of prices.

Does the quality of the product vary or is it a case of just going for the cheapest that can be found on the day? Are there any recommendations for who to use (particularly if close to Nottingham - if a supplier has a cutting service then I could get it chopped down enough to fit into the car and save the postage).

[Edited on 18/6/17 by SteveWallace]

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

bonzoronnie

posted on 18/6/17 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
From a quick search for steel stockholders. I see there is an Aalco stockist in Nottingham.

If they are anything like my local stockholder, they will charge you £1+vat per cut.
With them, I often find it cheaper to pay the delivery charge & cut the materials myself.

If the mild steel sheet has a BS rating it should be the same.
That said, in todays modern age, you can never really know where the steel has come from unless it is from a certified source.

Matt21

posted on 18/6/17 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Find somewhere local and collect it? all you need is a roof rack, a couple of lengths of timber and some straps

I can't imagine there being any difference in the quality, but I may be wrong.

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

designer

posted on 18/6/17 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
1mm mild steel seems very thick for a body.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 18/6/17 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

I agree, 1mm is quite hard to work, 22 gauge which is about 7.2mm is the norm, 8mm if metric would be fine too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonzoronnie

posted on 18/6/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:

I agree, 1mm is quite hard to work, 22 gauge which is about 7.2mm is the norm, 8mm if metric would be fine too.

Epic fail pete

Only kidding

22gauge = .8mm ish metric
24gauge = .6mm ish metric

Tend to agree with the above comments though.

That said if the original spec was 1mm you may wish to keep things authentic.

bart

posted on 18/6/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Your local body panel supply company will also keep flat stock.I have brought some frequently

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

r1_pete

posted on 19/6/17 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:

Epic fail pete

Only kidding

22gauge = .8mm ish metric
24gauge = .6mm ish metric

Tend to agree with the above comments though.

That said if the original spec was 1mm you may wish to keep things authentic.

Yes a decimal point slip there, 0.

MikeR

posted on 19/6/17 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
they built them strong in the old days (or if r1_pete was involved).
r1_pete

posted on 19/6/17 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, thats what happens sitting in 35 degree sunshine drinking this and posting.

Mythos
Mythos

SteveWallace

posted on 21/6/17 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

That was the original spec, so I'm going to stick to it and probably regret it when I start to try to form it over the wood frame. That said, some people have re skinned these in aluminium.

There are a couple of really difficult curves where the metal has to be shrunk a lot to make the radius, however, the recommended approach is to save this part of the old panels if possible and weld new bits on.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

gremlin1234

posted on 22/6/17 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
whilst browsing I found this vid Abingdon 1931

bart

posted on 22/6/17 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
wow what a video
I like the h&s spraying !

a much simpler time , a job more or less for life . these days cant see further than the end of the month in most places.
I can see myself starting a rant here so Ill stop with " fantastic video"

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

SteveWallace

posted on 23/6/17 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Great video. Aside from the health and safety issues with the spray painting, I'm surprised that they didn't go home every day with faces the same colour as the last car that they did (probably black).

SJ

posted on 23/6/17 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Great video. Aside from the health and safety issues with the spray painting, I'm surprised that they didn't go home every day with faces the same colour as the last car that they did (probably black).

And quite a bad headache as well!

Shiggins92

posted on 23/6/17 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it can very some are more prone to damage than others. I made a splitter out of one from one supplier and it didn't last long from stones and I tried another supplier and it seems to be much stronger. TBH you dont really know what you are going to get from ebay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.