Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repainting GRP
Ron Lang

posted on 23/7/17 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Repainting GRP

Quick one: Is it possible to have GRP panels resprayed. Mine have multiple hairline cracks.

PorkChop

posted on 23/7/17 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lang
Quick one: Is it possible to have GRP panels resprayed. Mine have multiple hairline cracks.

Quick answer: yes.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 23/7/17 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Longer one..
you may need to determine depth of cracks and solve the cause before doing so as painting over cracks may lead to cracks traveling to the surface of the new topcoat.
Good luck.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ron Lang

posted on 23/7/17 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well it looks like they've already been painted over once. I'm guessing they didn't do a great job so would need rubbing back regardless. The car's never been used so can't be from weather/use.

[Edited on 23/7/17 by Ron Lang]

furryeggs

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
You need to get down through the gelcoat to the fibre when repairing the cracks or they will always come back. A good 2 part epoxy will be better than filler, drill the end of the crack to stop it spreading and file/grind a V along the crack. Mix the epoxy and fill, sand, prep, paint. I've just done this on my tub before it got painted. Theres loads of videos on youtube.

If your painting it anyway then don't bother with a gelcoat repair kit as if its not done correctly it stays sticky and doesn't cure properly.

benchmark51

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The results are in the prep' as always. Find a good paintman.
Daza

posted on 24/7/17 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
The results are in the prep' as always. Find a good paintman.

I would go with similar. Some fibreglass components stress when being released from the mold. Other components may at some point recieved an impact later resulting in stress cracks or grazing.

Paint over at your perrill... if not treated properly they will eventually come back.

Another form of repair is to grind out the crack.... re-inforcing the back with chopped Matt first... then laying fibreglass tissue into the areas which have been ground back. Level off... jobs a good un!

D

snapper

posted on 24/7/17 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Completed Kit Car did an article on brush/roller applied paint coating that looked bloody good.
Yes preparation is all and this paint over the top of a well prepared surface could save a lot of money.
If it stays that way with no cracking you'll have a good base for a professional job later with some confidence it will stay that way.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

benchmark51

posted on 24/7/17 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am doing a gelcoat 'repair' on my bonnet. The car's previous owner fitted air vents by roughly cutting the holes in the bonnet and bonding the vents on the top of the bonnet and securing with rivets. I took it all off and cut accurate holes to take the vents and bonded them in with fibreglass, from underneath. This left seams between the vents and the bonnet. Gave the seams, vents and surrounding area of the bonnet a good rub down leaving a good key. I brushed on the catalised gelcoat over the seams and vents and let them dry, rubbed down and repeated until the seams were filled and I had smooth blended finish. No filler was used. The problem I have is finding the right shade of BRG to do the last coat. Quite happy with the way it is turning out though. The finish with be ok, but not a patch on a good paint job, The car is 17 years old and looking quite good, but frequent waxing is necessary. A good coat of 2 pack would be better, I just don't want to do the whole car right now.

Type 'gel coat repair' into you-tube and watch the vids on boat repair, loads of info there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.