Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flat Floor / Diffuser
AntonUK

posted on 31/7/17 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Flat Floor / Diffuser

Hi All,
I have a week of to do anything but work soon. One thing on my list to is to make a rear flat floor/diffuser for the back section of the Ginetta.

Simple question though, what thickness aluminium should I be using. Currently thinking 1.5mm?

Thoughts?

Build Photos Here

Phil_1471

posted on 31/7/17 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I got 2mm to do mine, and soon realised it was too thick and heavy will use 1.5mm for the next attempt.

Phil

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

adithorp

posted on 31/7/17 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I'd go with 1.5mm. Much easier to work with than anything thicker and stiff enough to hold it's shape after.

I'd do a bit of reading on the subject first. One of the questions I get asked most about my car is "Does the diffuser work?". Answer is, I don't really know... and don't think you really can without putting it in a wind tunnel. That said you might as well give it the best chance of working.

Primarily I needed something to stiffen the rear valence (it also made viewing the rear a bit more difficult for the SVA tester ) so a diffuser was as good as anything else. The angles, size and position are as good as I could practically get them to what the theory suggested (it was a long time ago so before you ask don't remember the exact details). As a result it should work at least to some extent and I think it does given the feel, spray/dirt patterns on the rear panel, comments from people with more knowledge than me, etc ...and if it doesn't it's a good stiffener for the vallence.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coozer

posted on 31/7/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Heres mine, 1.5, works a treat..

All of them here: http://imgur.com/a/lQSJr

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

loggyboy

posted on 31/7/17 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
As thin a possible. Pointless adding weight for such a minimal gain in aero. Multiple vains should keep it firm enough. And arguably, and an uneducated suspicion would be having some flex under load may enhance its effect.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.