Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gauging Interest - 2.0 Zetec Blacktop Setup
Ron86

posted on 14/9/17 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Gauging Interest - 2.0 Zetec Blacktop Setup

Considering selling my crate 2.0 zetec with donor type 9 box. Race line sump, GBS throttle body/plenum setup complete with brand new fuel rail and injectors.

I know what a pretty penny this all cost but interested to understand how much people would be willing to pay for the package. No silly offers please, we all know how much this stuff costs.

Engine was installed but removed again before car was complete.

Could also include brand new Emerald K6, engine harness and exhaust manifold for extra cost.

Thanks.

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/9/17 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Your better off just putting I price on it
nero1701

posted on 14/9/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a price on it ?
snapper

posted on 14/9/17 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be scared, you know what it cost
You know what you want for it.
There maybe some one who will offer close, worse case scenario is a bit of a gap between the 2 figures

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Ron86

posted on 14/9/17 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies and U2U's. To clarify, the engine is new so no miles on it. Has been started but car was never driven.

As you're all asking for a price I'll add up what I've spent on it all and have a stab at it...

wowblaauw

posted on 14/9/17 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have this conversation quite regularly with people on what constitutes good value on 'new' (second hand new) product versus New product. When trying to compare (new) with no warranty with a tenner off the new price is like trying to pull teeth. Your biggest issue is with what people are prepared to pay for kit which although is new has no relative safety net in so much that there is a manufacturer in the background offering warranty on the product you are trying to flog. If all this kit has a full warranty, then its up to whether or not people will trust the seller. This is where the dichotomy of selling brand new or used stuff on the open market comes into play. For example; if I want to buy a new crate engine, then its off to Ford or a reseller and I get warranty and I pay full value for the item. If I am thinking of buying a new crate engine which comes up for sale on this forum, then its what I feel like paying. If I am desperate and there are others bidding for the same, then the price will go up according to demand. In this case, you will get no more than around 60-70% (maybe a bit more) of new value. Harsh I know, but this is where I think you will get a quick sale (if the price is right) or try your luck on fleabay and you will see what I mean about 'new' value versus warranty value. If you go back on what stuff sells for on here you will quickly get an understanding on what you should price you stuff up at. Hope this helps,

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!"

Ron86

posted on 14/9/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
All sounds sensible to me!
J90rdn

posted on 15/9/17 at 04:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, have to disagree. I certainly wouldn't say it's only worth 60 to 70% of new value, that would put it in the range of £600 for a brand new engine. No chance. These have previously come up and sold for more like £750 to £800, and I haven't seen one for sale for a while on these forums. Plus they are drying up. They used to litter eBay, now only one I can find is from Raceline at £995, and even GBS who used to sell them for £850 are now charging £1070.

I'd also be amazed if any of these suppliers would give you a warranty on an engine which has sat around for 10 years, and then installed by a home mechanic. They may offer you something if you had it fitted by a professional outfit, but even then you are more than likely fitting it into something which isn't what it was originally intended for (i.e. not the standard ECU, engine bay etc). Who's to say your ECU map wouldn't have caused an engine failure with out of whack fuelling and ignition settings??

So I'd say it's got to be worth upwards of £800 for bare engine. That's where I'd be starting, but as you say, it's worth what someone is willing to pay, but at £600, someone would be getting an absolute bargain!!!!

GavMax

posted on 15/9/17 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thing is - as soon as its been run up its a different animal - anything could have happened to it.

If there isn't much difference between one for sale (that could have been stored badly for all we know) I'd rather spend a little more and buy an unrun version

J90rdn

posted on 15/9/17 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GavMax
Thing is - as soon as its been run up its a different animal - anything could have happened to it.

If there isn't much difference between one for sale (that could have been stored badly for all we know) I'd rather spend a little more and buy an unrun version

Is the Zetec not a non-interference engine, so you'd be hard pushed to do any damage with a general start-up, plus at least it proves the engine works. With a NOS engine which hadn't been started, you could argue that the value is less because it's never been started, thus the buyer wouldn't know if it works or not. Can be seen both ways. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

GavMax

posted on 15/9/17 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
That's the thing with humans and opinions - we're all different
Ron86

posted on 15/9/17 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
You can always rely on a forum for a good discussion eh!

I can see both sides tbh. The engine has been run, and was run on a standard map supplied by Emerald. As such, I know there are no problems but a potential buyer doesn't.

Current cost this setup is as follows:

2.0 Zetec (£950)
Raceline Sump (£516)
Plenum - £235
OEM Injectors, plate and throttle Body (c.£100)
Emerald K9 ECU (£714)
Alternater Kit (£300)
Starter Motor (£130)
Loom (based on emerald's flying loom (c.£100)

= £3045 + cost of donor gearbox

That cost doesn't include the various sensors, cooling components etc. so if we took 70% of that I should be asking around £2150.

I'll have to have a think about whether it's worth selling I guess.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ron86

posted on 17/9/17 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Or I break it into individual items?
Gersen

posted on 17/9/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GavMax

Aye that's the rub - the running in about getting the rings under the right load for the first couple of minutes - so critical in getting the right surfaces on the bore.

SJ

posted on 18/9/17 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Or I break it into individual items?

That's what I would do. You open the market of potential buyers up massively if you do that.

Stu

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/9/17 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I think the new engines come with TB, injectors etc (being picky)
The raceline sump will sell easily. But not sure it it will fetch more than £300. Then the engine has no sump....

If you want it gone, sell it as a package. The setup may fetch a little over 2k, but remember many people will source ancillaries at rather lower prices than what you paid. My alternator setup with a new denso alternator cost me £50 with a couple of hours work. Starter motors are often sub £100 new.

Guess a type 9 is worth £200. So maybe advertise at £2500 as a drop in package. You may get lucky...but you will need to target advertising to places where people have deep pockets. And the downside is that the single plenium is not seen as sexy as ITB's (though power can be identical, end economy better)

arrow-engineering

posted on 23/9/17 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
where are you based?
Ron86

posted on 23/9/17 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arrow-engineering
where are you based?

Leicester

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.