Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nose cone mounting
S1502

posted on 11/1/18 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Nose cone mounting

Just wondered how people have secured their nose cones?

Looking to re do mine but seeing how others have done it.

I have a tiger s6 currently secured two bolts underneath.

[Edited on 11/1/18 by S1502]

CosKev3

posted on 11/1/18 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mines currently got 2 bolts into both top chassis rails into rivnuts,and one in the front at the bottom.

But a winter job I'm hoping to do is change these over to slide latches,to make it easier and faster to remove.

CosKev3

posted on 11/1/18 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/car-prep/fasteners/grayston-slide-latches-bushes-pk10-lamp-pod-panel-fastener-like-dzus.html
S1502

posted on 11/1/18 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
https://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/car-prep/fasteners/grayston-slide-latches-bushes-pk10-lamp-pod-panel-fastener-like-dzus.html

Have never seen those before i was tempted to make 2 brackets fibreglassed into the top of the nose cone and rivnut into the chassis

craigdiver

posted on 11/1/18 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
this thread is a bit spooky. I was giving some thought on how to secure my nose cone too and came on here to have a search! My issue is that the nose cone comes within a couple of inches of the engine so cannot get my hand into the nose cone on the offside and very tight on the nearside.

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 11/1/18 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S1502
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

Have never seen those before i was tempted to make 2 brackets fibreglassed into the top of the nose cone and rivnut into the chassis

The guy who made my GRP scuttle says to stick bracket to GRP with good quality no nails then glass over when fully cured. Think this is the way ill be doing it. Do like the look of those clips though.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

40inches

posted on 11/1/18 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Two hinges on the bottom and two Dzus fasteners on the side. Flips forward easily
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Vents
Vents

[Edited on 12-1-18 by 40inches]

craigdiver

posted on 12/1/18 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Two hinges on the bottom and two Dzus fasteners on the side. Flips forward easily

I do like that, thanks - do you have another photo showing the whole hinge (did you fabricate the hinge yourself?)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

40inches

posted on 12/1/18 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:

I do like that, thanks - do you have another photo showing the whole hinge (did you fabricate the hinge yourself?)

I made them out of ally angle, but you could use stainless marine hinges.
like these:Link
Or probably even better Link

nick205

posted on 12/1/18 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I mounted the nose cone with 2x M5 cap heads into rivnuts in the top chassis rails at the rear. Plus 2x threaded studs into rivnuts in the front lower chassis rail. 4x fixings in total. Never had any issues with it. The bonnet itself overlapped and helped secure the top rear edge of the nose cone.

Building again I would look to hinge the nose cone at the lower front edge and leave the bonnet overlap to hold the top rear edge.

FYI - this was all with MK supplied bodywork.

[Edited on 12/1/18 by nick205]

craigdiver

posted on 12/1/18 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:

I made them out of ally angle, but you could use stainless marine hinges.
like these:Link
Or probably even better Link

Perfect, thanks

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

40inches

posted on 12/1/18 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Building again I would look to hinge the nose cone at the lower front edge .

FYI - this was all with MK supplied bodywork.

[Edited on 12/1/18 by nick205]

A bit like mine then

peter030371

posted on 12/1/18 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
First build had 4 Dzus fasteners but they hardly ever got used (never really needed to take the nose cone off once it was sorted). On a couple of occasions one of the Dzus fasteners would pop open on track

On my latest build I have four bolts with simple brackets (made with aluminium angle) with nutserts through the side. If I do need to take it off then it takes 1 minute rather than 20 seconds but they don't pop open! Don't have any pictures of the brackets but the finished fit is like this

MOT day
MOT day

I also plan to add a front splitter at some point so wanted a 'solid' fit this time and with just the Dzus I had a little movement. Don't get me wrong I like Dzus and this time have four of them holding the bonnet on but because of the final fit these don't budge an inch unlike the old nosecone

craigdiver

posted on 12/1/18 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
First build had 4 Dzus fasteners but they hardly ever got used (never really needed to take the nose cone off once it was sorted). On a couple of occasions one of the Dzus fasteners would pop open on track

On my latest build I have four bolts with simple brackets (made with aluminium angle) with nutserts through the side. If I do need to take it off then it takes 1 minute rather than 20 seconds but they don't pop open! Don't have any pictures of the brackets but the finished fit is like this

MOT day
MOT day

I also plan to add a front splitter at some point so wanted a 'solid' fit this time and with just the Dzus I had a little movement. Don't get me wrong I like Dzus and this time have four of them holding the bonnet on but because of the final fit these don't budge an inch unlike the old nosecone

Yes, seeing your nose cone disappear in your rear view mirror wouldn’t be good ;-). Great looking car

[Edited on 12/1/18 by craigdiver]

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.