Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plywood alternative
Daf

posted on 27/7/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Plywood alternative

I want to remake my boot area rear cover, at the moment it’s plywood with vinyl covering it – It looks great but the vinyl has stained where I’ve spilled fuel on it. I was planning on remaking it but instead of covering it in vinyl I was going to seal the ply then paint it with textured truck liner paint. I’ve used this paint on the floor and its hard wearing and I like the finish.

Question is – is there an alternative to using ply? A piece of 12mm ply is quite weighty and if there’s an alternative I could achieve the same with that’s lighter that would be great. Its non-structural so doesn’t need to be particularly strong but it needs to be 12+mm thick so I can router the edges. A thin sheet of aluminium wouldn't work.

I’m quite happy to use ply as it's not a race car – but just thought I’d throw the question out there anyway in case there is some nice light product I’m unawares of!

Bluemoon

posted on 27/7/18 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Alucore sheets?

or other sandwich panels:

[Edited on 27/7/18 by Bluemoon]

myke pocock

posted on 27/7/18 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used a foamed PVC rigid sheeting that is about 4.5mm thick It is commonly used in signmaking (NOT Correx) Easy to cut either with saw or router and can be rounded neatly on the edge. I have used it for the rear deck and also side interior panels.
Daf

posted on 27/7/18 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
The foamed PVC sheet sounds interesting, have you got any brand names or links?

I need the thickness to give a nice edge so sadly the alucore wouldn't be suitable. Never seen that before though and could be useful for other things so thanks for the input.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/7/18 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
As Bluemoon suggested - dry freight commercial vehicles typically use a lightweight composite panel made up of GRP and a honeycomb core, which would probably suit the job at hand. Most panels that enter the UK are from French companies Polyfont or Carlier Plastique, which will have UK agents - maybe see if they've got an offcut or old door piece that you could use?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

big-vee-twin

posted on 27/7/18 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I used a sheet of ABS with a carbon effect finish from Plays-kool motorsport.

[Edited on 27/7/18 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

tegwin

posted on 27/7/18 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
4mm piece of ply with thick edges glued on and routered? Loose most of the weight...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

russbost

posted on 28/7/18 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about something like kingspan or celotex, or other foam boards like underfloor heating board, that's available in 10mm thickness

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Daf

posted on 28/7/18 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Some great suggestions, think i might try a few samples from the suggestions above. I like the kingspan idea, i wonder if there is anything i could coat it with to make it a little more durable
Irony

posted on 28/7/18 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Trent Plastics in Gainsborough for Foamex. Or if your near Lincoln I'll give you some.
Bluemoon

posted on 28/7/18 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Some great suggestions, think i might try a few samples from the suggestions above. I like the kingspan idea, i wonder if there is anything i could coat it with to make it a little more durable

laminate two sheets on to both sides, aluminum or carbon abs ect..

rusty nuts

posted on 29/7/18 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Use your present panels as a hammerform to make new ally panels?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.