Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery 065 or 075
MikeBaker

posted on 21/4/19 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Battery 065 or 075

Hey

So a few years ago I bought my step dads Luego Viento (you may possibly know the vehicle owned by Clive/ Snuggs)

I have just fixed an issue with the brake light switch (faulty relay) and working my way around the car to improve it as a whole. So I will probably be asking many questions.

Anyhow it currently has a 065 battery (and its FUBAR, doesn’t hold charge and is a ballache to manage)

My question is this... the 065 and 075 battery dimensions are the same but I can get much higher Ah and CCA, from the 075. But am I gonna have more issue with the battery being charged in use. Anything I can do to assist this, stop the battery dying (when the car isn’t used) etc. (Or is there a better battery altogether, is it worth switching to an AGM type battery... etc)

Any help is grateful (before I buy a new battery)

Cheers
Mike

daviep

posted on 22/4/19 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware the 075 has different sized terminals.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/4/19 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure about terminal sizes being different? I ask as tanya has both as the same, std terminals.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/powerline/065/
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/powerline/075/

(that is no recommendation for powerline batteries!)

But in general you don't need a big battery, you are not running much power hungry stuff, biggest drain is the lights etc, and the alternator will take care of those. So you can try smaller. One of my old Triumph uses 038/015 battery (pretty small, not a size to choose as "rare" ) with zero issues, the other I use an 063 as cheaper as a common size, though it depends how weight-obsessed you are.

You need to decide if you want a light battery, or if you are happy with the larger size and the added convenience of being easy to source. But capacity would not worry me. Buying a quality battery would be worthwhile, well worth the extra £10 in my book. Plus some sort of trickle/maintenance charger if the car is rarely used.

big_wasa

posted on 22/4/19 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I would also say the 063 is more than enough.

I would get one of the new style maintenance charger and leave it on all winter.

MikeBaker

posted on 22/4/19 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply guys,

I was just thinking about longevity as starting will take a lot of power (I’m not sure if the current battery dying is due to not being fully charged when driven, may check the alternator to be sure) and when it’s been stood between uses.

Any thoughts on the AGM type batteries?

What are the ‘new style maintenance charges’ (forgive my stupidity)

Cheers

rusty nuts

posted on 22/4/19 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I was a passenger in that car bits were falling off it at high speed. Ask your dad! Nice to see you are looking after the car . Did Clive ever get around to fitting a heat shield for the alternator? I remember changing one for him at Stoneleigh one year that had seized , he luckily found one while I was taking the old one off. PS the bit that fell off was his “windscreen wiper”
AKA fish tank cleaner.

MikeBaker

posted on 22/4/19 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Last time I was a passenger in that car bits were falling off it at high speed. Ask your dad! Nice to see you are looking after the car . Did Clive ever get around to fitting a heat shield for the alternator? I remember changing one for him at Stoneleigh one year that had seized , he luckily found one while I was taking the old one off. PS the bit that fell off was his “windscreen wiper”
AKA fish tank cleaner.

Haha, I was not aware of this.

Nah the alternator isn’t shielded, but I’d imagine would be a fairly simple job, albeit faffy.

I’m not overly in the know about old v8 engines, however it does appear that one bank runs leaner than the other and has a tendency to want to stall if you gun it from idle.

Lots of things to fix and make simple :-)

[Edited on 22/4/19 by MikeBaker]

rusty nuts

posted on 22/4/19 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I’m sure the old alternator was damaged by excessive heat so fitting a heat shield would help . I had problems with my car until I fixed a heat shield , no problems since.
MikeBaker

posted on 23/4/19 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I’m sure the old alternator was damaged by excessive heat so fitting a heat shield would help . I had problems with my car until I fixed a heat shield , no problems since.

Out of curiosity what did you use?

rusty nuts

posted on 23/4/19 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I just used a bit of aluminium sheet , made a couple of brackets and bolted it on . Probably 1/2 hours work .
MikeBaker

posted on 23/4/19 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you, I have a fair amount of aluminium sheet and stuff for brackets. Should be an easy fix.

Further question - Does anyone know an easy way to check injectors are working properly?

rusty nuts

posted on 23/4/19 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to test without removing might be to disconnect one at a time with the engine running . I did remove mine at one time and used a fuel pump to flush to flush through with a high concentration of injector cleaner . Might be worth putting 2 or 3 bottles in your fuel tank and giving it a blast? Has it still got Clive’s silly silencers?
MikeBaker

posted on 23/4/19 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a lot of research is to be had and hopefully find and easy way to find out and fix if needed.

You mean the 'lounderners' haha - Yeah its not very silenced at al - haha

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.